Solid Waste Maintenance Worker
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under the routine supervision of the Solid Waste Systems Supervisor II, performs entry level service work at a landfill site and maintaining the grounds.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (Note: The listed duties are illustrative only and are not intended to describe each and every function which may be performed in the job class. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
* Cleans the grounds around the landfill site and on designated rights-of-way; mows and utilizes appropriate equipment for ground maintenance around the landfill site.
* Directs and may assist the public with unloading trash.
* Washes tractors, trailers, equipment or vehicles.
* Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Six (6) months of experience in lawn maintenance with knowledge of the machinery and hand tools used in grounds maintenance
* Six (6) months of experience in manual labor
* Must obtain a valid Florida operator's license prior to employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: (Note: The knowledge, skills and abilities identified in this class specification represent those needed to perform the duties of this class. Additional knowledge, skills and abilities may be applicable for individual positions.)
* Good knowledge of the machinery and hand tools used in maintenance of grounds. (mowers, weed eaters)
* Ability to learn appropriate safety procedures for working at a landfill site.
* Ability to work with the public.
* This is heavy physical work.
* Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull 50 lbs. or more
* Must be able to stand and walk 5 ? 8 hours a day
Work is at a landfill site and includes exposure to hazardous materials, dirt, dust, odors, fumes, moving machinery, noise and vermin.