Hospice Nurse Practitioner
Employment Type: Full-Time
What You Will Do
As a Nurse Practitioner (NP) for Amedisys, you will work autonomously but in collaboration with physicians to deliver primary medical care for adult hospice patients. You will provide advanced practice nursing services through palliation and management of the terminal condition, and develop treatment plans for patients at home and possible other settings which may include: general inpatient units, hospitals, assisted living, independent living, senior housing, and skilled nursing facilities.
* Communicate significant findings, problems, changes in condition or environment to the clinical manager/attending physician and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
* Complete face to face encounters and assesses the following: disease related changes, decline in function, adherence and effectiveness of pain and symptom regimen, the patient and family coping mechanisms and quality of life.
* Order and review appropriate lab, x-rays, EKG's and other diagnostic procedures for palliation and treatment of the terminal disease as dictated by the patient's condition and documents the treatment plan accordingly and reviews results with collaborating physician
* Make referrals to other disciplines as indicated by the patient's needs
* Actively participate in interdisciplinary team conferences
* Current and unencumbered license as a Nurse Practitioner in the state the employee is assigned to work by the Company.
* Minimum of one (1) year experience as a Nurse Practitioner or minimum of one (1) year experience as a hospice Registered Nurse in last three (3) years.
* Must meet the training, education and experience requirements to be authorized to practice as a nurse practitioner in the state where services are provided including, without limitation, being certified as a Nurse Practitioner by a recognized national certifying body that has established standards for nurse practitioners.
* Must have the authority to practice as a nurse practitioner in the state where services are provided.
* Must have the authority to prescribe as a nurse practitioner in the state where services are provided.
* Must have obtained Medicare billing privileges as a nurse practitioner.
* Must meet physician-nurse practitioner restrictive collaborative requirements specific to state assigned to work by the Company and supply a copy of all active collaborating physician agreements and indicate whether these will be transferable to your employment with Amedisys.
* Must have insurance required by state law for nurse practitioners to practice [and prescribe] in the state where services are provided, or be eligible for such insurance requirements to be satisfied by group coverage with an employer
* Knowledge of Medicare reimbursement and coding for all levels of service - home, office, nursing home, assisted living, etc., Medicaid and other regulatory requirements.
* Current CPR certification.
* Familiarity with Electronic Medical Record.
* Knowledge of and experience with caring for the geriatric patient.
* Previous experience in geriatric primary care
* Previous experience and education in palliative care
* National certifications in field of expertise
Amedisys is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other legally protected characteristic.