Executive Producer, LAist Studios, SCPR
Employment Type: Full-Time
Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
LAist Studios is looking for an executive producer who wants to make excellent shows for the LA-minded; progressive and future facing, trend setting and curious, diverse and inclusive. You'll prioritize shows that can scale, embody the values of Southern California and meet the needs of diverse audiences, ages 20-40.
You'll build off four newly launched shows including California Love and California City and you will prevent us from naming another show with the word 'California' in it. The rest of our shows can be found here. The EP will lead the team into its next evolution and breathe new life into the podcast industry.
Working with senior leadership, you'll develop structure and processes that foster creativity, ambitious thinking and innovative approaches. You'll assemble and supervise diverse teams that align with our mission, support creative development and hold everyone to the highest editorial standards.
The EP must foster a 'yes, and…' environment while also holding fast to deadlines, budgets and audience growth goals. Strong storytelling skills are a must, as well as the ability to coordinate across departments and think like an entrepreneur. Ideally, the candidate has experience putting together creative, diverse teams and running content development and production. They also can think creatively and ambitiously about building a massive audience that is connected, represented and engaged.
* Create and deliver portfolio of shows that representative of the diversity of Los Angeles, are reflective of the human condition and implicity demonstrate an issue, character or narrative that is unique to LA as a state of mind.
* Make shows that spark community, meet audience targets and have potential for spin offs.
* Hire, recruit and retain a diverse team of audio creators for new and existing shows.
* Oversee development of innovative shows, including how a show will be funded, staffed, how it will sound, and how it will be structured.
* Source, hire and support producers and production companies for specific projects.
* Set daily and long-term production deadlines through participation in meetings and ongoing conversations with peers, partners and direct reports.
* Manage daily and long-term production budgets.
* Get shows in shape for marketing and underwriting.
* Run group edits when necessary.
* Foster a 'we' culture versus a 'me' culture by encouraging collaboration versus competition.
* Provide clear guidance, feedback and supervision to staff. Assess performance of staff by establishing standards and working to encourage professional development.
* Communicate continuously, collaboratively and effectively with head of studios and other senior leaders.
* Deliver performance reviews on time and up to the highest SCPR standards and ensure that managers they supervise deliver annual and midyear assessments to the same standards.
* Work with other members of the management team to provide strong, consistent leadership of the department.
* Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
* Represent LAist Studios internally and externally.
* Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
* Experience in TV, film or digital audio content production
* 6+ years of overall work experience, including a minimum of three years at management level, including providing work direction or supervisory experience
* Experience supervising multiple shows with short form and long form storytelling
* Experience in maintaining high standards under deadline pressure, including fairness, accuracy and inclusivity.
* Experience in building highly functioning and diverse creative teams.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
* Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing creative teams.
* Experience creating content for diverse audiences.
* Cultural fluency and proven commitment to working inclusively with and developing a diverse team
* Strong writing, producing and editing skills essential.
* Knowledge of podcast industry standards, trends and issues.
* Knowledge of audio storytelling.
* Ability to make quick command decisions and effectively execute multiple assignments on deadline.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* Experience working with talent agenices
* Experience packaging creative projects, finding funding, talent, partnerships, etc
* Fluency in Spanish or other languages commonly used in southern California
Reporting To This Position: Senior Producers, hosts, editors, operations manager(?)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
* Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
* Physical Demands:
* Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
* Required to move about in the community
* Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
* Working Conditions:
* Moderate noise level
* Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.