Manager - School Business - Severna Park High
Employment Type: Full-Time
Curriculum and Instruction
Reports To (title only)
Current as of
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Responsible for managing non-instructional activities of a high school. Work of the class involves responsibility for all business affairs and non-instructional administrative matters in a high school. These responsibilities include the following core of responsibilities: financial operation of a school, facilities management; procurement and supply management; student services; administration of use of school facilities; transportation; plant security and safety; records and reports; and planning and coordination of all business management functions with the school staff, faculty, and student body as necessary. The School Business Manager is responsible for maintaining a continuing review of practices and procedures in the areas of business affairs and non-instructional administrative matters, and for recommending revisions as necessary.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Supervises and/or provides direction to clerical, custodial, food service, and other staff as necessary.
2. Manages school financial matters, including preparation of the budget, monitoring expenditures, contract management, and payroll.
3. Organizes and maintains an efficient system for purchase, distribution, inventory, storage, repair, and replacement of supplies and equipment.
4. Supervises the transportation, maintenance, security, safety, and financial operations of the school.
5. Produces a master schedule of daily events and use of school facilities by student and community groups.
6. Oversees the data entry, maintenance and reporting of grades, attendance, discipline, and other information concerning students in the Student Data System (SASI); supervises the maintenance of student record files.
7. Oversees the operation and maintenance of the physical plant and grounds of the school property.
8. Communicates orally and in writing with school and Central Office personnel, students, parents, volunteers, and vendors.
9. Ensures that the professional staff receives adequate administrative support.
10. Provides in-service training for members of the classified staff; may also train professional and clerical staff in use of Student Data System (SASI).
11. Coordinates activities with shared use of facilities, Parks & Recreation, churches, and community use.
12. Approves fundraising.
13. Responsible for ensuring emergency management.
14. Prepares routine and special reports.
15. Serves as first point of contact in all matters concerning school safety and emergencies involving police and fire personnel.
16. Performs special duties and projects as requested by the Principal.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in business administration or a related field which includes course work in the following areas: principles of accounting; administration; supervision; institutional administration; planning; personnel management; information systems; or purchasing administration OR any equivalent combination of education and experience deemed sufficient to prepare the applicant to successfully perform the duties of the position may be accepted.
* At least two (2) years of experience, which must include the application of accounting principles & practices, and supervision of staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of business administration, specifically including accounting, personnel management, and planning with application in some or all of the following areas: institutional administration, plant maintenance, food services, transportation, security, and purchasing administration.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise or direct a staff,
* Ability to create a positive environment that values, respects and leverages all employee talents while providing fair advancement for all employees.
* Ability to administer a program involving coordination of a wide variety of activities including accounting/financial functions; analyze and prepare recommendations on a variety of activities; prepare written reports and recommendations.
* Ability to oversee automated student records systems.
* Ability to work effectively with all levels of AACPS employees, students, parents, and the general public.
* Excellent oral and written communications and human relations skills.
* Demonstrated proficiency with business technology applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite-Word, Excel, Outlook and/or PowerPoint preferred).
* Familiarity with computer applications, computer word processors or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge is required.
* Familiarity with a public school setting is desirable.
* Ability to multi-task.
* Available after hours and on-call.
Career Ladder Requirements
Eligibility for Consideration for Advancement to Grade C requires:
* Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in business administration or a related field which includes course work in the following areas: principles of accounting; administration; supervision; institutional administration; planning; personnel management; information systems; or purchasing administration
* Mastery of all duties and responsibilities of the position.
* Two (2) consecutive years of experience in the job at the grade B level.
* Achievement of identified goals as they relate to the needs of the district and as established by the supervisor.
* Completion of three (3) job related courses, such as contract law, purchasing, finance, ASBO Foundation Courses, or other related AACPS training courses
* Consistent maintenance of an effective and orderly work environment.
* Consistent compliance with general office procedures such as standards contained in the AACPS Employee Handbook; demonstration of discretion and excellent customer service; regular and punctual attendance; and building dress code, including wearing AACPS ID badge.
* Above Satisfactory overall job performance for two consecutive years
* Recommendation of Supervisor
* As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.