Licensed Practical Nurse - Outpatient - Float
Employment Type: Full-Time
Office Nurse I assumes the responsibility and accountability for a group of patients under the supervision of a registered nurse or provider. The Office Nurse I -Travel is required to travel to all Outpatient Services office locations as scheduled weekly, noting office location may change on short notice due to staffing needs. There may be a rare occasion to cover the urgent care offices with variable working hours. This position reports to Outpatient Services Director of Nursing and Clinical Services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Nursing Process
a. Cares for patients under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Provider.
b. Collects data in an ongoing and efficient manner focusing on the patients physical and cognitive needs.
c. Prioritizes and recognizes change in patient status and reports them appropriately to the RN/Provider.
d. Implements an established plan of care in a knowledgeable, skillful and consistent manner.
e. Provides age appropriate care to patients.
2. Patient Education - Demonstrates awareness, sensitivity and knowledge of patient/family learning needs and implements appropriate measures to meet their rights and safety.
a. Utilizes educational information with explanation/directions regarding upcoming test/procedure, new medications and documents appropriately in the EMR.
b. Is aware of referral sources to Disease Management Programs as per order of provider.
3. Documentation/Office Procedure - Documents accurate, concise information in the patients EMR record in a timely manner.
a. Vital signs
b. Problem list
c. Allergy list
d. Medication list / medication reconciliation
e. Fall assessment / pain assessment/ learning evaluation/functional limitation
f. Communicable Disease history
g. Other modules : PMH/FMH, Tobacco/Alcohol/Supplements, Substance abuse, Mental health history; as per provider preference
h. Prescription refills (either electronically or paper)
4. Schedules follow-up visits, consultations, referred testing and surgeries as per provider orders.
5. Forwards appropriate information requested by consult providers.
6. Is responsible for handling incoming and outgoing telephone calls in a timely and courteous manner.
7. Is responsible for contacting the patient regarding lab/test results, phoned in issues, etc. after being reviewed by, initialed/signed off by provider and documented in EMR.
8. Obtains pre-authorizations in a timely manner for medical testing, medications etc.
9. Is responsible for coding/billing preparation for billing dept., medical necessity and insurance referrals.
10. Processes and directs laboratory specimens in an appropriate and timely manner, submitting necessary billing information to the laboratory.
11. Performs / documents POC laboratory controls/testing as per protocol and reports results in a timely manner to the provider.
12. Assists with clerical duties such as chart preparation, filing and floor stock inventory/ordering in the office when required.
13. Communicates with the triage nurse if appropriate, making her aware of available appointment times for sick calls or of any changes in the providers schedule.
14. Maintains a system to ensure receiving copies of consultation reports and test results in a timely manner with a follow up system for tracking missing information.
15. Keeps rooms stocked with appropriate medical supplies and instruments, maintaining current expiration dates and removes excess, unused supplies.
16. Is responsible for maintaining and documenting:
a. daily seal intergrity of office Emergency
b. monthly AED battery check
17. Safety - Demonstrates and functions with awareness of safety issues as identified by the institution towards patients, co-workers and self.
18. Emergency Situations - Performs efficiently and appropriately in emergency situations.
a. Is aware of location of Emergency Box in their office setting.
b. Is current in CPR certification.
19. Profession - Maintains professional conduct and appearance.
a. Is courteous and respectful to patients/families and co-workers.
b. Is aware of dress code and dresses accordingly.
20. Education - Participates in the annual mandatory education as required by position:
a. Merit Fair
b. Aseptic Technique
c. Mandatory inservices
d. Independently participates in continuing education courses to meet own professional growth
e. Maintains a record of all educational activity
21. Legal Issues - Demonstrates awareness of basic legal issues in all aspects of patient care, office functions and strives to minimize risks.
22. Out-Patient Office - Is competent to perform/assist provider with patient diagnostic testing, procedures as below, if required in the office setting, but not limited to:
c. Pulmonary Function Screening / spriometry
d. Holter monitoring/30 Day Event monitoring
e. Dermatologic procedures
f. Ear lavage
g. Pap smear
h. Staple removal
i. Specific offices only - Colposcopy, IUD insertion, Endometrial biopsy, Urodynamic study
Casting/Removal of cast
23. Medication Competency - Demonstrates competency in medication administration with provider order:
a. oral medications
b. intramuscular injections
c. subcutaneous injections
d. nebulizer treatments
24. Medication Policy and Procedure
a. Follows policy and procedure regarding medication administration.
b. Performs immunizations according to the providers instructions andaccurately documents information in the patients EMR.
c. Responsible for maintaining clean, orderly drug sample cabinets containing only drugs withcurrent expiration dates, by documenting on monthly samplecabinet check sheet.
d. Logs all sample medications appropriately according to policy (Sample dispensing log, Sample Receipt log ) and uses sample labels appropriately.
Family practice office only- Nurse is familiar with:
* State mandated ( NY, Pa )VFC programs/age requirements/documentation
* Vaccine Refrigerator Setup
* Monthly care of vaccine storage units and required documentation
* Maintains current Outpatient Services/VFC required temperature/problem logs
25. Infection Control Performs all aspects of universal precautions when in patient careand maintains current Infection Control Certification as required by New York State (not a requirement for nurses practicing in Pennsylvania).
26. Is responsible for attending all annual mandatory educational programs as required by position.
27. Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of satisfying theneeds of the patient by interacting with him/her in a friendly and caring waybeing attentive to the customer's needs, both psychologically and physicallyand maintaining communication with the patient to provide a secure and pleasant experience with the Arnot Health.
28. It is understood that this list is typical duties for the classification and is not to be considered inclusive of all duties which may be assigned.
Graduate of an approved LPN program with current New York State or Pennsylvania licensure.
Previous nursing experience in a medical office setting preferred. Excellent communication and writing ability.
CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION (CPR) REQUIREMENTS:
Basic Life Support (BLS) required within 90 days of hire date.
Employee required to be on his/her feet much of the time, some lifting, reaching and stooping involved.
Category I. Tasks that involve exposure to blood and body fluids/tissue.
A.D.A. Essential Functions