Registered Nurse - Surgical Services
Employment Type: Full-Time
JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse - Operating Room/PACU
Responsible for planning, executing, directing and evaluating direct and indirect nursing care given to the surgical patient.
The nursing care ranges from perioperative intervention onto postoperative evaluation. It is a practice designed to meet patient's needs through the nursing process, ensuring continuity of care during the surgical experience.
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager - Surgical Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervises and directs patient care by planning and organizing the nursing function in an individual operating room.
Supervises all personnel involved with that operating room.
a. Ensures proper techniques and practices are used according to standards of practice
b. Supports and enforces infection control policies & procedures.
c. Acts as a patient advocate
d. Assists anesthesia, surgeon and other personnel as needed to ensure good patient care.
2. Performs scrub duties as necessary and to keep current.
3. Maintains counts on sponges, needles and instruments to ensure no loss of items according to facility policies.
4. Performs circulating duties with efficiency and speed.
a. Opens sterile packs and supplies using aseptic techniques
b. Anticipates the need for and has readily available supplies and packs needed pertinent to particular case
c. Reviews preference cards and has available special instrumentation, medications and other devices that may be
d. Ensures all medications are administrated and charted according to established policies and procedures, reporting
errors when necessary
e. Observes patient for condition changes and reporting immediately to appropriate personnel
f. Prepares operative area with good techniques and according to standards
g. Positioning of the OR table and patient on the OR table, padded as necessary, maintaining proper body alignment to
ensure patient safety is maintained
h. Performs documentation duties on unit and in patient record, which is timely, accurate and concise
i. Cares for specimens as directed by policies and procedures
j. Accompanies patient to PACU or destination, reporting to nurse on patient's condition, OR procedure and any other
special events to ensure continuity of care. (If operative nurse is caring postoperatively all measures of above
5. Provides for psychological needs of patient.
6. Assists in control and maintenance of unit supplies and equipment. Reporting and tagging equipment not properly functioning.
7. Assists in scheduling of procedures and acts as charge nurse as necessary.
8. Assists in control of traffic and personnel to ensure proper control of infection and asepsis. Assures the patient areas
are kept neat, clean and safe.
9. Assists with the orientation of new personnel.
10. Avails his or herself in the ongoing education process of the hospital.
11. Adheres to operating room dress code. Neat personal appearance.
12. Maintains good rapport with nursing staff, medical staff and other departments.
13. Has working knowledge of Corporate Compliance regulations and promptly rports any potential Corporate Compliance violations
to the Corporate Compliance Officer.
14. Is familiar with and demonstrates Continuous Quality Improvement principles and participates in the process as appropriate,
focusing on meeting the customer service needs of the internal and external customers.
15. Must possess the highest ethical standards with respect to discretion and regard for confidential information.
16. Provides age appropriate care to neonate, infant, children, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
17. Is responsible for attending all annual mandatory educational programs as required by position.
18. In order to provide the highest quality care to our patients and residents, individuals may be required to work hours
beyond those normally scheduled. Work schedules may be subject to change based on the needs of the department.
19. It is understood that this job description lists typical duties for the classification and is not to be considered
inclusive of all duties which may be assigned.
New York State Registered Nurse with valid license required. Must obtain ACLS within one year. Current CPR and PALS certification
One year med/surgical experience required.
Prolonged, extensive or considerable standing/walking. Verbal and written communication skills are necessary. Positions,
pushes, pulls and lifts medium to heavy weights intermittently.
Category I. Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues.