Acoustics Consulting Intern - Available June 2021
Employment Type: Full-Time
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
* Crucial aspects of measuring, quantifying and analyzing sounds, noise and vibration
* Key acoustical, audio, visual and interactive design skills (3D CAD modeling, 3D models and acoustical and audio analysis) directly applied to various projects
* Learning to understand codes and standard
* Learning to review engineering and architectural drawings
* Attending meetings with clients and design teams
* How to interpret and respond to design issues using listening and visual demonstrations to clients
* Bachelor's Degree in Acoustics, Music, Interactive Media, Architecture, Physics, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
* 3.0 GPA or higher
* Professional demeanor
* Skills in planning and organizing
* Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
* Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm and eagerness to learn
* Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
* History of technical presentations and technical writing
* Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
* The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
* Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
* Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
* Master's Degree in Acoustics or closely related field
* 3.5 GPA or higher
* Interest in creating immersive and interactive experiences, especially with generative and/or data-informed media content, important.
* Fundamental of acoustics, fundamentals of vibration, engineering acoustics, noise control, digital signal processing, electroacoustics, human responses to acoustics and vibration
* Ability to visually storyboard early experience design concepts and narratives a plus
* A background/training in music practice, playing of a musical instrument can be useful
* Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
* 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
* Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
* Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
* Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
* WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
* Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
* Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
* Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
* LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
* Queen's Way West Revitalization, Canada
* Agora Convention Centre in Bogota
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.