Process Technology Leader - Specialty Chemicals
Employment Type: Full-Time
As a key member of the Chocolate Bayou Specialty Chemicals Technology Team, the Process Technology Leader will provide leadership and technical direction to support the technology and business/operations strategy. This includes the development of process and performance improvement ideas and shepherding the projects through Ascend's Stage-Gate portfolio management process. The Technology Leader will play a key role in integration and coordination of critical process technology resources in delivering targeted benefits and results to the Specialty Chemicals business contribution margin by working closely with members of the process engineering, production engineering, operations and commercial teams.
* Develop and grow a capable technology team who is able to deliver a pipeline of value generation projects.
* Coordinate development of the premise, business cases and execution plan for key yield and capacity improvement programs/projects.
* Lead site-based improvement programs to include execution of defined projects to deliver new applications and products focused on HCN derivatives, nitriles and other site raw material streams.
* Develop and identify key operations projects that improve reliability, cost, and capacity while coordinating with engineering resources and plant operations resources.
* Collaborate with specialty chemicals team members at other sites to develop a robust pipeline of new products and applications.
* Maintain ownership of science, engineering and technology projects portfolio from idea generation through validation stages in the Ascend Stage-Gate model to ensure that business decisions are being made in a timely manner.
* Maintain and improve the technology development process in an opportunistic environment
* Lead, mentor and develop process technology team members
* Develop and implement a multi-year plan that builds high-quality laboratory capabilities which enable value pipeline generation.
* Understand the business needs for production capacity, raw material usages and product yields and the impact on business contribution margin for site businesses and customers.
* Setup and maintain strategic external research partnerships
* Become the technical expert for the Ascend specialty chemicals processes at Chocolate Bayou.
* Coordinate technical sessions to generate ideas to address longer-term business and operational needs.
* Reports to: Specialty Chemicals Technology Director
* Team Members:
* 5-7 direct reports including organic and inorganic chemists, chemical engineers and lab technicians.
* Technology Leaders, Manufacturing Business Unit Leaders, and Business Leadership.
* Master's degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with a PhD preferred.
* 5-10+ years of chemicals or petro-chemicals technology experience. Specialty chemicals experience preferred.
* 2-5+ years of direct supervisory or technology project leadership experience
* Assertive, results-oriented leader with the ability to collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams in a fast paced, results oriented matrix organization
* Ability to understand business financials and prioritize product technology and applications programs to drive business profitability
* Ability to gather competitive intelligence especially on competitor's products and competitor's product performance
* Strategic thinker with strong problem-solving skills, oral and written communication skills
* Ability to integrate and influence across multiple functions within the organization to deliver results
* Demonstrated ability to effectively lead teams to deliver results via multiple complex technical programs
* Demonstrated process development experience with design for Six Sigma experience is a plus
Ascend Performance Materials is the premium provider of high quality chemicals, fibers and plastics. With world scale integrated manufacturing facilities we are able to develop new products from our core technologies, and provide flexibility to respond to the expanding needs of customers. Ascend has global sales and distribution facilities across the globe and six manufacturing facilities globally. As a privately-held company, our people do big things and make big decisions, often much earlier in their careers than at larger companies. Ascend Performance Materials offers team members the opportunity to contribute in big, meaningful ways-all within a stable and growing business.
Why work at Ascend?
Our vision is to be the recognized leader in the nylon 6,6 value chain, creating new possibilities with PA66 for everyone, everywhere, every day. We achieve that through living our Ascend values.
We care. We operate safely with high integrity for our employees, our customers and our communities. Our people are our greatest assets, and our Total Rewards Program extends beyond traditional benefits to include access to on-site medical clinics at our U.S. facilities, a global wellness rewards program and Performance Matters, an employee-driven recognition plan. Our Commitment to Zero demonstrates our belief that is it possible to operate with zero personal injuries, zero process safety incidents and zero environmental releases. And the Ascend Cares Foundation, led by Ascend employees, supports Ascend families in times of need, provides inspiring opportunities for community engagement and facilitates community leadership.
Customer-focused. We exist for our customers; they drive our actions. Their success is our success. Our plastics and chemicals are building blocks that help make everyday essentials safer and more sustainable, and we constantly strive to develop new and innovative products to meet the future needs of our customers. And that customer focus doesn't only apply to the marketplace - it also applies to how we treat our colleagues and our fellow community members.
Better every day. We invest in our people and our processes to improve every day. A2E, our continuous improvement program, guides the way we do business. And this way of problem solving applies not only to our manufacturing practices but also to our commitment to developing our people. You'll see it during your career at Ascend in our leadership development, skills training and mentoring programs
Agile. We think broadly and lead proactively in a constantly evolving organization and industry. Agility doesn't mean simply working quickly - it means critical thinking, creative problem solving and novel approaches to everyday challenges.
One Ascend. All together, with a common set of goals and an eye toward the future. We don't accept silos. We look for ways to share across departments, sites and geography. This means you won't be boxed into a single role at Ascend - you could get the chance to work with teams across the globe to improve the way we serve our people, our customers and our communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.