Proteomics Analytical Scientist
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can't you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate-and Beyond.
The Innovation team is seeking an outstanding individual to join Beyond Meat to further expand our analytical capabilities at the company's headquarters in El Segundo, CA. The candidate will be a resident expert in state-of-the-art analytical methods and data analysis for food ingredients, chemical and biochemical systems with a focus on proteins and proteomic analysis. The position will be hands-on at the bench working with the analytical research team. The Scientist will use their excellent problem solving and analytical skills to develop impactful research insights and meaningfully contribute to new product development.
* Design research projects, analyze and interpret experimental data, write reports, and prepare presentations of relevant findings and conclusions
* Develop and prepare samples for proteomic analysis including protein extraction, immunoprecipitation, proteolytic digestion, and sample clean-up prior to MS analysis
* Perform analytical routines for Tandem liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC/MSMS) systems maintenance, including calibration, system suitability, and troubleshooting.
* Proficiency in using Proteome Discoverer, Peaks, Genedata, MaxQuant, Skyline, Mascot, and other DB search engine tools
* Develop mechanistic insights and models for how composition and quality of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and oils impact product characteristics
* Lipidomics experience is a plus
* Develop complex datasets, databases, and analysis/interpretative methods
* Translate results and ideas into meaningful research plans that address key research questions within the Innovation team
* Ensure analytical equipment is maintained in good working order; troubleshoot and perform minor repairs as needed; oversee preventative maintenance program in the lab
* Maintain a safe and orderly laboratory and ensure compliance with all safety policies and practices
* Supervise and mentor Analytical personnel in several aspects of Department operations including reporting and method validation/qualification, research planning, investigating deviations and unexpected results
* Collaborate with Innovation Senior Management in the growth and development of the Department
* Collaborate with teammates in cross-functional settings to build a strong knowledge base and repository of food ingredients
* Collaborate with the various cross-functional teams within the company
* Education Minimum Requirement: PhD in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Analytical Chemistry or a related field, with a minimum of 3 years relevant postdoctoral or pharmaceutical/biotechnology experience
* Knowledge and direct experience with state-of-the-art technologies and methods for mass spectrometry-based proteomics, including Thermo Orbitrap mass spectrometers
* Proficiency in quantitative proteomics techniques, Tandem Mass Tag (TMT), label-free quantification approaches and peptide fragmentation methods
* Biologics characterization using mass spectrometric methods
* Understanding and working knowledge of various analytical methods for protein characterization such as SEC, IEX, RP - HPLC, CE-SDS
* Experience with developing complex datasets and/or omics small molecule research, script development for data handling, and database building is preferred
* Experience with qualitative and quantitative materials characterization is a plus
* Experience with characterizing bio-macromolecules
* Exhibit strong technical skills and the ability to critically evaluate raw data and results without supervision.
* Proven ability to generate research plans that lead to meaningful conclusions
* Must be skilled in operation of chromatographic data acquisition and processing software packages such as Agilent ChemStation, Shimadzu LabSolutions, and other software tools for data reduction and presentation.
* Experience in the operation, minor maintenance, troubleshooting, and calibration of laboratory equipment required
* Experience with statistical software and theory
* Frequent sitting at a desk, communication using computer and phone
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.