* Residential Counselor 2nd Shift 3P-11:30P
Employment Type: Full-Time
Full Time Behavioral Care Specialist (Residential Counselor)
3P-11:30P/Five days a week work/Days off may OR may not be consecutive
Salary is $16 per hour plus full benefits
Job location: Virtua Hospital in Camden
A great work facility for people with calling to make a difference to others
MUST have bachelor's degree
MUST have valid driver's license
At least a year of experience with adolescents in behavioral health setting
The role of the Behavioral Care Specialists is to provide 24-hour supervision, care, and personal, supportive interaction with residents. BCSs facilitate the development of an appropriate, home-like environment. Under the supervision of the Program Director, and BCS Shift Supervisors, BCSs support residents through an extensive range of daily living activities.
The following are essential job accountabilities:
* Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with adults and adolescents. Understanding of adolescent development, group dynamics, and family interactions. Good listening skills. Ability to function as a member of a team. Knowledge of the range of resident's physical, emotional, social, and educational needs. Knowledge of state laws regarding child abuse and confidentiality. Willingness to participate in recreational activities with residents. Successful completion of 'Handle with Care' physical restraint training system. Ability to interpret and apply written regulations and procedures. Ability to establish rapport with a variety of residents in a wide range of mental and emotional states. Basic knowledge of the role and authority of NJ-DHS/DYFS, DCBHS, CMO's and CSA, FSO's, program philosophy, policies, and procedures.
* Supervises, observes and participates with resident in the carrying out of the daily routine (i.e. meals, school, chores, etc.). Constructively delegates tasks to residents as means of teaching responsibility, respect, and accountability.
* Supervises work in accord with individual need and motivates residents to take an active role in daily household activities.
* Directly supervises and knows whereabouts of every resident in his/her care at all times.
* Corrects residents' behavior by administering Logical Consequences and disciplinary measures fairly and equitably when necessary. Provides crisis intervention to residents as needed.
* Ensures each resident is informed of the rules and regulations of the program.
* Assists residents in developing an improved sense of responsibility towards themselves, peers, family, and community.
* Plans (with appropriate support) and directs activities, daily living skills, and recreation groups. Organizes, supervise and conducts planned activities for groups and individuals. Provides assistance to residents in planning appropriate recreational activities.
* Consistently encourages residents to perform required housekeeping tasks. Responsible for holding residents accountable for appearance of living area and furnishings.
* Assists residents in resolving personal problems and/or conflicts by listening to their concerns, and always responding in a therapeutic and supportive way to provide them with alternatives to unacceptable or negative behaviors.
* Attends and participates in treatment/behavior management team meetings with coworkers. Makes use of supervisory time to discuss issues regarding wellbeing and needs of residents.
* Consistently implements all program policies & procedures including the behavioral motivational system.
* Attentive to building security checks as designated by program. Perform all tasks outlined in the Circulation of Shift Policy and Supervision of Residents Policy.
* Conducts authorized room searches of residents, property, common areas, lockers, and resident rooms and as required by program policy.
* Accurately records all information as appropriate, i.e. daily log, Critical Incident Reports. Prepares reports as required by program.
* Completes Resident Intake Forms and completes all tasks that are associated with a new admission.
* Serves as primary counselor and support person for all residents.
* Communicates and coordinates with other agencies, providers, parents, guardians, and others when designated by program.
* Is familiar with all co-worker's job functions so that appropriate internal referrals can be initiated as needed (i.e. nurse, social worker, and principal).
* Properly and accurately dispenses all medication and documents information in the Medical Log.
* Assists residents in learning home management skills (cooking, cleaning, etc) and teaching residents the importance of cleanliness, hygiene, good nutrition, meal planning, responsible purchases, etc., while guiding them in skill development.
* Carries cell phone while on trips in the community.
* Is assigned to mandatory extra shifts. Responsible for finding a replacement or for filling the shift him/herself.
* Takes on special tasks to contribute to the overall functioning of the program (i.e., ordering supplies, shopping, fire drills, pharmacy runs, errands, etc.). Aids in the training of new workers on the job.
* Alerts supervisor and manager to emergencies, special problems, or unusual events, i.e., child abuse, injuries, inappropriate conduct of staff, etc.
* Escort residents to the hospital, doctor, dentist, home visit, court appearances on behalf of the facility and the family.
* Drives program's vehicles as requested.
* Performs other related duties as assigned requested.
* Attends monthly/weekly supervision and staff meetings.
* Responsible for the proper accounting of all petty cash and allowance.
Contacts: Residents, coworkers, visitors, family members, agency representatives, Virtua employees, and visitors.
* 18 years of age minimum.
* Bachelor's Degree required, one year of experience working with children or adolescents in a group, mental health, or residential setting.
* Valid Driver's license required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.