Equipment Operator II -
Employment Type: Full-Time
Responsible for operating a variety of solid waste vehicles to collect and transport solid waste to the transfer station and/or landfill for disposal on a daily basis. Perform physically demanding duties during strenuous weather conditions. Primarily responsible for operating a rear-loader truck in the Brush Division. Also, responsible for the efficient operation and care of assigned equipment.
Target Hiring Range: $15.91/hr - 19.25/hr
Essential Job Functions
Maintain the functionality, appearance and safety of the equipment and/or facilities such as Transfer Station or Recycling Center in compliance with local, state and federal rules and regulations. Remove and transport solid waste for city residents to transfer stations or landfill. Maintain safe and efficient operation of solid waste collection and transport equipment and vehicles. Perform pre-trip/ post-trip vehicle inspections and complete daily work sheet for equipment operated. Keep work location and vehicle in order. Respond to customer relations problems. May act as Field Training Officer for training new hires and cross-training existing EWS employees. Assist disabled residents and customers with refuse container removal as needed.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
1 year related experience with a variety of solid waste collection and transport vehicles Class B Commercial Driver's License Ability to lift 50 pounds several times daily Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
* Class A Commercial Driver's License
* 3-5 years experience with a variety of solid waste and other automotive equipment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Considerable knowledge of safety standard practices governing the operation of vehicles
* Considerable knowledge of relevant traffic laws
* Considerable knowledge of the principles, operation and servicing of trucks and related automotive equipment
* Skill to operate controls for required equipment; with greater dexterity than an Equipment Operator I level
* Ability to properly use, operate and care for tools, equipment and materials
* Ability to perform routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment
* Ability to read and understand vehicle operator's manual
* Ability to read and use city maps and documentation
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class B Commercial Driver's license Completion of a defensive driving course within six (6) months from date of hire
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent drives a vehicle from stop to stop and frequently exits and enters vehicle while collecting solid waste and/or recycling materials; frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outdoors with exposure to all types of weather conditions. 8-10 hours of drive time on a daily basis in all weather conditions. Must possess sufficient vision to accurately read written and typed documents. Ability to lift and/or pull up to 50 pounds several times daily.
Models Organizational Values Customer Service/Interpersonal Skills/Communication/Problem Solving Dependability/Adaptability/ Flexibility Productivity/Quality/Technical Skills/Work Environment Safety Teamwork/Managing Conflict/Negotiation Skills