Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you interested in a career in law enforcement? Do you have a passion for helping others? If so, the City of Greenville Police Department is searching for men and women just like you.
The City of Greenville Police Department is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer Trainee tojoin its growing rank of law enforcement professionals. As a Police Officer Trainee you will be compensated to attend Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy (BLET) where you will undergo five months of intense physical and educational training designed to prepare you for a career in law enforcement. Upon receipt of certificationyou will graduate as a certified North Carolina Police Officer with the City of Greenville.
Candidates who successfully complete the selection process and are offered a Trainee position with the City of Greenville and will bepaid to go through a 5-month BLET(Basic Law Enforcement Training) academy. The rate of pay for Trainees while attending BLETis $17.44 per hour ($1,395.20/biweekly).
Examples of Duties
* Patrols an assigned area on foot, patrol car, or other assigned mode of transportation to preserve order and enforce laws;
* Receives and answers complaints and requests for service from citizens, provides information or assistance, or investigates according to policies and procedures;
* Summons additional personnel, ambulance, or additional facilities to the scene of disaster, crime or accident as required;
* Interviews complainants, witnesses, and other persons who may have related information;
* Performs crime scene processing;
* Investigates break-ins, thefts, major crimes, and other situations as may be required;
* Prepares detailed records and reports as required;
* Investigates traffic accidents and completes State accident reports;
* Operates speed detection device and writes traffic citations as warranted;
* Escorts parades, funerals, and similar processions;
* Attends public gatherings to help maintain order;
* Patrols assigned area for unusual situations and investigates unusual and suspicious circumstances;
* Makes arrests as warranted;
* Presents oral testimony in court;
* Notifies business owners of conditions deserving attention;
* Accompanies persons transporting large sums of money or other valuables;
* Directs traffic at accident scenes, hazardous locations, sporting events, in lieu of traffic signals, and as directed;
* Operates breathalyzer, DCI terminal and other assigned police equipment;
* Serves warrants, capiases, and subpoenas;
* Prepares records and reports as required;
* Reports hazardous street conditions, defective lights, defective water lines, and other problems;
* Coordinates and meets with other officers and supervisors to collaborate efforts to address police issues in assigned area;
* Attends and participates in community meetings and efforts;
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Note: Police Officer Trainee assists Certified Police Officer with above tasks.
* Must be a United States citizen
* Must be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development (GED) test
* Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license and acceptable driving record
* Must be at least 21 years of age by August 1,2021
* Must be of good moral character with no disqualifying criminal conviction(s)
* Must undergo an extensive background investigation including, but not limited to, polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, medical exam, and drug screen
* Must successfully complete a physical agility test and oral interviews
* Must be available to work days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays on a rotating schedule
* Must meet any other minimum employment requirements established by the City of Greenville
Selection process typically is completed within two (2) to four (4) months. Candidates who do not successfully complete the selection process are eligible to reapply for other City job vacancies.