Fin - Seasonal Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Title: Seasonal Intern
Positions Available: 04
Applications accepted from: All Persons Interested
Division: FRO (Financial Reporting & Operations), SPD (Strategic Procurement)
Reporting Location: 611 Walker St. Houston, TX 77002
Workdays & Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM - 5 PM *Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The mission of the Finance Department is to safeguard the fiscal integrity of the City, its component units, and other dependent entities, and enable other City stakeholders to do the same. The City of Houston Finance Department is currently offering internships for the Financial Reporting & Operations (FRO), and Strategic Procurement Department. This internship involves general administrative duties includes filing, paperwork, data entry and word processing.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* May organize files, retrieve, and file documents.
* May perform general clerical/receptionist functions (i.e., pick-up, sort, and distribute mail; operate fax machine and copiers; issue visitor passes; handle incoming calls).
* May enter information into the computer under well-defined and established procedures.
* May type reports and input/retrieve information from a variety of source documents.
* May assist with data archiving.
* May assist in communications and/or social media functions.
* May assist Procurement Specialists with preparation for vendor and committee meetings.
* May assist with various projects as requested, including research and financial reports.
* Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position is located indoors. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature, and air conditions.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
* Due to COVID, position may be converted to a virtual earn-n-learn training format.* MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Ability to read, write, add, subtract and follow oral and basic written instructions. May have a basic
knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation. May require a basic knowledge of a particular subject
area. (Individuals may be high school students.) Must be 16 years of age or older.
Age Requirement: 16 -24
No experience is required.
Excellent communication skills include oral and written, accuracy, attention to detail, inquisitive and interested in a challenging profession. Not interested in someone who is just looking for a summer job. Focus is on business with specialty of procurement and supply chain management.
* Office/Clerical Work (Filing, organization, compiling materials, etc.)
* MS Office - Word and Excel, Customer Service
* Customer Service
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade: 3
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at:www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-6051.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832-393-6051. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.