Employment Type: Full-Time
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied.
Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates when applications are due for these locations can be found at https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com/Outreach.
Learn more about this agency
* The responsibilities listed below are at the full performance level.
* Report information about interests of visitors to be used in the development of plans for recreation area maintenance, rehabilitation, and construction projects.
* Prepare project work plans for the use, improvement, and maintenance for a developed recreation area.
* Carry out and monitor implementation of recreation operation and maintenance plans for developed or dispersed recreation sites.
* Inspect recreation area use to enforce compliance with the management plan by issuing or requesting issuance of citations.
* Draft suggested contract specifications such as a description of the work, following the instructions and direction of contracting personnel.
* Monitor work done under contracts with standard provisions and interpret provisions for contractors.
* Repair dispersed recreation sites such as roadside or backcountry sites using various equipment and tools.
* Repair items such as toilets, road closure gates, hand pumps, picnic tables, fire rings, barriers, and trash receptacles in developed recreational areas.
* Count and/or reconcile collection fees at recreation sites.
* Deposit fees according to instructions to ensure they are protected and correctly accounted for.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
* Job family (Series)
0462 Forestry Technician
Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
* Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
* Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
* Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
* Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
* Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
In order to qualify, you must meet the eligibility and qualifications requirements as defined below by the date the certificate of eligible candidates is issued. For more information on the qualifications for this position, visit the Office of Personnel Management's General Schedule Qualification Standards.
Your application and resume must clearly show that you possess the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Provide course descriptions as necessary.
Specialized Experience Requirement: For the GS-5: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: Inspected recreation area clean-up operations and performed safety hazard analysis of public recreation use areas; patrolled wilderness to ensure that areas were operated, used, and maintained in accordance with wilderness management plans; performed site maintenance, including cleanup and naturalizing at widely dispersed sites; gathered, compiled, and reported recreation program data for use in monitoring and assessment activities and summarized data for use in recreation data management systems; OR A bachelor's degree or 4 years of successfully completed education above high school (120 semester/180 quarter hours) with major study in forestry, range management, agriculture, or a subject-matter field directly related to the position, or that included at least 24 semester hours in a combination of courses such as forestry, agriculture, crop or plant science, range management or conservation, wildlife management, watershed management, soil science, natural resources, outdoor recreation management, civil or forest engineering, or wildland fire science (no more than 6 semester hours in mathematics is creditable);OR Combinations of successfully completed post-high school education (in excess of the first 60 semester/90 quarter hours) and specialized experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university.
For the GS-6: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: Inspected special use permits such as outfitter guide operations, issued notices of non-compliance issues and report to supervisor; inspected and maintained recreation facilities and areas; lead or coordinated crew to maintain recreation sites or; monitored forest areas to identify violations of federal regulations such as enforcement of off-road vehicle restrictions; OR one full year (18 semester/27 quarter hours) of successfully completed graduate level coursework that is directly related to the work of the position (such as forestry, range management, agriculture); OR combinations of graduate level education that is directly related to the position and specialized experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university.
For the GS-7: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: Served as the point of contact with community organizations and interest groups to generate utilization of forest recreation facilities; assisted in the development of plans for recreation area maintenance, rehabilitation, reconstruction, and construction projects in accordance with program management objectives and policies; served as an inspector and/or contracting officer's representative on service contracts insuring work is completed properly; and in all aspects of Special Use Permit administration for activities within undeveloped and developed areas of the unit; OR one full year (18 semester/27 quarter hours) of successfully completed graduate level coursework that is directly related to the work of the position (such as forestry, range management, agriculture); OR combinations of graduate level education that is directly related to the position and specialized experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.#06022021