Employment Type: Part-Time
The incumbent will be assigned to work in the Emergency Department (ED). The incumbent will be supervised by the ED Nurse Manager. The Healthcare Technician (HCT) is a highly specialize position, providing both clinical and administrative support while performing duties traditionally done by multiple staff in other services and sections.
Learn more about this agency
* Perform or assists RN with personal care, such as body or oral hygiene
* Dressing/undressing- ensuring patient privacy at all times
* Toileting/elimination- ensuring patient privacy at all times
* Provide direct observation for both suicidal and homicidal patients
* Perform or assist RN with search and inventory of patient belongings
* Inserts peripheral IV's performs venipuncture
* Perform 12-lead EKG's and gives to provider within 10 minutes got interpretation
* Answer call lights and communicates Patients' needs to assigned RN or Charge Nurse
* Transport of low-risk telemetry patients to testing and assigned inpatient units
* Clean and stocking of supplies
Work Schedule: Rotating to meet coverage needs of 24/7 department
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Health Technician/PD03795A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: N/A
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
* Job family (Series)
0640 Health Aid And Technician
Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to background/security investigation
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 01/11/2021.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-04 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to:
* Perform or assist RN with patient care
* Perform Phlebotomy
* Inserts Peripheral IV's
* Perform 12 Lead EKG
* Apply cardiac monitor electrodes + leads and initiates cardiac monitoring
* Provide direct observation for suicidal/homicidal patients as well as those patients requiring direct observation for safety
* Perform or assist RN with search and inventory of belongings
* Perform bladder scan procedure and notifies RN of results
* Perform Point of Care Testing
* Set up for internal temperature monitoring via cardiac monitor utilizing foley catheter temperature cable
* Set up and application of warming device
* Respond, with RN, to medical emergencies in the parking garage and outside on hospital grounds
Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have.
Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education beyond.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
* Emergency Care
* Infection Control
* Specimen Collection
* Veteran and Customer Focus
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
The duties of the position regularly require periods of sitting, standing and walking. Working with patients requires regular sitting, bending, standing, and pushing of wheelchairs. At times, a light to moderate amount of lifting is required. Work in front of a CRT is also required for 1-4 hours per day.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.