Physician - Psychiatrist
Employment Type: Full-Time
This is an OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT in support of COVID-19 operations. The initial cut-off date for referral of eligible applications will be December 28, 2020 and applicants will be referred on an 'as needed' basis. NOTE: Announcement will remain open until no longer needed but no later than March 16, 2021.
Learn more about this agency
The Psychiatrist will serve in support of COVID-19 operations and may be permanently or temporarily appointed on an intermittent, part-time or full-time schedule. Major duties include but are not limited to:
* Primary provider of psychiatric care for designated patients;
* Provide psychiatric examination and treatment and coordination of medical care with patient's Primary Care Provider;
* Responsible for emergent and/or triage functions for walk-in patients;
* Coordinating consultations and referrals of patients to other medical and/or Mental Health services;
* Coordinating preventive health care needs according to established guidelines and sound psychiatric practice; and
* Reviewing of patient care and treatment decisions.
Work Schedule: A variety of work schedules are available; Work schedule will be determined upon selection. NOTE: May be expected to work rotating weekends and holidays.
Pay Schedule: The salary range listed in this announcement is a Base-Line Salary ($200,000-$282,480) range estimate for a full-time work schedule. Starting salary will be set based on locality (which may include a special pay rate depending upon location), as well as FT, PT or Intermittent employment.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Certain locations are deemed as 'Hard to Fill' and 'may' offer Recruitment Incentives, but such an Incentive is not guaranteed.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation assistance: Not Available
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Student Loan Repayment/Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): This position may be eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA Policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office. EDRP approval is contingent on this occupation and specialty being deemed 'hard-to-recruit-and-retain' at the duty location you are interested in.
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases.
Paid Time Off: 26 days paid annual leave (carryover up to 86 days), 13 days paid annual sick leave (unlimited carryover), 10 paid Federal holidays per year.
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years' vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA.
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement).
Incentives: Possible signing bonus and student loan repayment up to $200K for eligible debt.
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory and you can practice anywhere in VHA.
CME: Possible $1,000 per year stipend + possible 1 week paid authorized absence to attend.
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting and no restrictive covenants.
* Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
* U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Designated and/or random drug testing required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to a background/security investigation
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
* United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
* Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
* Proficiency in spoken and written English.
* Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Preferred Experience: Board certification in Psychiatry.
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds; Light carrying, under 15 pounds; Use of fingers; Walking, 2 hours; Standing, 2 hours; Work closely with others; and Work alone.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.