Registered Nurse - Adult/Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant - Per Diem
Employment Type: Full-Time
EXCEPTIONAL CANCER CARE, EXCEPTIONAL NURSES
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), in Seattle, Washington, is part of a dynamic collaboration among three organizations known nationally and internationally for their patient care and research: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, and Seattle Children's. These three organizations have worked together to support their mission of world class adult and pediatric oncology patient care services, research and education. Please join us and be part of making a difference in the lives of our patients, families, and community!
At Seattle Cancer Care Alliance every patient, every life matters. Our dedicated nurses are a driving force making SCCA a global leader in the prevention, treatment, and cure of cancer. Our nurses rank among leading experts in oncology. Our nurses provide exceptional patient and family-centered care as they coordinate and assist in individualized treatment. They integrate care with support for the research and development of innovative therapies. Embarking with each patient on a journey through cancer treatment and survival, our compassionate nurses walk hand-in-hand with courage and hope with each individual to ensure the best possible patient outcome.
Our nurses are vital to the journey of cancer care. We invite you to explore our career opportunities and apply online for more information.
The Registered Nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary care team. This role provides patient centric care and is primarily responsible for nursing assessment and diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
* Performs comprehensive initial assessment of patient, family and caregiver
* Performs ongoing assessment of patient, family and caregiver as patient progresses through Transplant process
* Monitors patient response to therapies, including lab values and symptom assessment, in collaboration with the medical, nutrition and pharmacy staff
* Provides psychosocial support to patients and families
* Functions as resource for rotating physician staff regarding standard practice and operations in the clinic
* Reviews all orders written by the medical staff
* Communicates hospital admissions to the Charge RN
* Coordinate home infusions provided by outside Home Infusion agencies after initial referral by Transition RNs
* Provide continuity of nursing care by communicating effectively with Charge, Evening, Weekend, Infusion
* Room, Procedure, Triage, and Inpatient RN's
* Documents all assessments, teaching, response to therapies and plans of care in a timely manner
* Keeps patient Kardex up to date
* Functions as primary telephone contact for patients and their caregivers
* Participates with all disciplines in daily rounds to plan and coordinate patient care
Patient and Caregiver Teaching:
* Provides initial education and Clinic orientation. Reviews Patient Resource Manual with patient and family at arrival visit
* Assumes primary responsibility for chemotherapy teaching with patients and caregivers
* Assumes primary responsibility for patient education regarding medications and therapies, including home infusions
* Assumes primary responsibility for patient education regarding symptom management
* Assumes primary responsibility for departure teaching when patient is leaving the Acute Transplant Program
Support for Research:
* Acts as patient advocate in coordination of research consent forms
* Assists in obtaining research data in conjunction with patient care data
* Maintains a working knowledge of current protocols related to the patient population with whom they work. Knows research resources and how to access
Communication and Teamwork:
* Participates in Committees and Task Forces to review and improve current standards
* Serves as a resource to other nurses caring for patients undergoing BMT transplant
* Flexible in incorporating patient care outside own team assignment to assist with patient care needs in other areas of clinic
* Informs Nurse Manager of high-risk patient situations or operational issues
* Communicates in a respectful and effective manner with other staff
* Demonstrates appropriate problem solving when working with other departments
Maintaining And Developing Own Skills:
* Participates in continuing education programs
* Keeps current in area of expertise through journals, books, and conferences
* Regular attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job in order to carry out the primary responsibilities.
* Current Washington State nursing license.
* Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
* Additional certification may be required dependent upon department.
* Critical thinking; the ability to practice the cognitive skills of analyzing, applying standards, discriminating, information seeking, logical reasoning, predicting, and transforming knowledge
* Ability to develop clinical judgment.
* Time Management skills; the ability to organize and manage time and tasks independently
* Ability to communicate effectively by looking and listening for cues, asking open-ended questions, exploring cues, using pauses, screening responses, and clarifying response.
* Ability to effectively listen by using reflecting, acknowledging, summarizing, empathizing, and paraphrasing skill.
* Ability to effectively provide information by checking what information the person knows already, giving small amounts of information at a time, using clear terms and avoiding jargon, avoiding detail unless it is requested, checking for understanding, and pausing and waiting for a response.
* Bachelor of Science in Nursing
* Two years of nursing experience
* Outpatient Oncology experience
* Oncology Certification
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.