Research Scientist - Chemistry
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Description Summary
GE Research is looking for a Research Scientist with capabilities in synthetic organic and/or inorganic chemistry. The Research Scientist will conduct research on polymeric, organic and inorganic systems, including solid sorbents for high-value extractions, as applied to industrial challenges across aviation, additive manufacturing, renewable energy, healthcare and the power generation. You will be responsible for new material compositions/formulations development, material & component design, scale-up, material characterization, performance evaluation, external proposal writing, and technical paper writing and publication.
* You will:
* Conduct basic & applied research including small organic molecule, polymeric, polymer composite or inorganic materials synthesis, component design, materials testing, process development & optimization, and performance evaluation.
* Fabricate functional material systems through the development and coating/deposition of slurry and binder formulations on additively-manufactured components.
* Design & execute experiments, while independently leading tasks that result in impact for GE businesses and customers. Identify key technical issues and produce cutting edge technical breakthroughs.
* Determine system level performance requirements and develop fundamental system knowledge through experimentation and process optimization. Iteratively improve system performance.
* Be a member of a multidisciplinary team developing functional materials across diverse application spaces.
* Collaborate with technologists and product managers in GE businesses and at external partners to understand needs and product and process requirements.
* Build relationships with colleagues at GE Research with a wide variety of technical expertise and business responsibilities.
* Identify and form collaborative relationships with academic, national laboratory, industry, government agencies and GE experts to leverage internal capability, increasing impact.
* Investigate, identify and pursue external and commercial opportunities, proposing solutions to some of the world's toughest challenges and writing proposals for grant consideration.
* Support IP strategy development and prior art analysis, write disclosures and patent applications and collect rigorous experimental data for IP patent processes.
* Deliver effective presentations, reports, and publications to GE Research leadership, the GE businesses, government agencies, professional societies, and peer-reviewed journals.
* Doctorate in Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science or related discipline.
* Proven record of innovation, including peer-reviewed publications, in areas related to the synthesis of organic and polymeric materials, inorganic and organometallic powders and suspensions, reticular chemistry (metal-organic frameworks and covalent organic frameworks), and/or additive material formulations and slurry development.
* Practical knowledge of safety practices as it relates to experimental design and lab practices.
* Demonstrated project execution experience, teamwork experience & ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
* Demonstrated leadership experience.
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Master's level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
* Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
* Must be 18 years or older.
* You must submit your application for employment through www.GECareers.com to be considered.
* Experience with the design and synthesis of new materials, including small molecules, sorbent materials (e.g., metal-organic frameworks, covalent organic frameworks), engineering thermoplastic and thermoset polymers, or nano-structured polymers, surface functionalization, surface coating, slurry formulation, thermal and radiation-based curing, blending and their associated manufacturing processes.
* Fully versed in material characterization methods.
* Experience in the process development and scale-up of materials.
* Experience developing patentable intellectual property
* Experience writing successful R&D proposals, including to government agencies
* Ability and experience transitioning products from R&D to manufacturing.
* Well versed in Six Sigma methodology -specifically DoE's and Gage R&R. Excellent written and verbal communication capabilities
* Comfort interacting and reporting horizontally and vertically both within and across organizational boundaries
* Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills using innovative and hands-on solutions
* Demonstrated capability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
* Strong interpersonal skills initiative, high self-confidence and have goals for a career in industrial research.
* Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
* Ability to adapt to change and willingness to be flexible in a global team environment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes