Mergers and Acquisitions Associate or Senior
Employment Type: Full-Time
WHY we get up in the morning
At GHJ we help our people and clients pursue their passions, build thriving businesses, and create a better future.
WHAT we believe
We believe that collaboration is the foundation for success. We work as a business advocate for our clients - providing personalized service and building long-term relationships to help position our clients for the future.
HOW we succeed
We are deeply committed to our core values of Bright Minds, Brave Hearts and Bold Actions and incorporate them into every aspect of our business. By living these values, we are able to meet our strategic objectives of Remaining Fiercely Independent (financial success), Meeting client demands/needs (client success), Reinforcing and expanding cultural distinction (people success).
Summary of Role:
The GHJ Transaction Advisory Services (TAS) team provides a challenging, rewarding and entrepreneurial opportunity for individuals to improve their skill set and career trajectory while advising companies across numerous industries through a transaction process. The TAS practice is part of GHJ's larger Advisory practice, offering a broad exposure to forward thinking services, exciting clients and a rewarding professional environment.
* Participate in buy-side and sell-side transaction engagements with corporate entities, investment bankers, private equity firms and strategic corporate buyers.
* Prepare calculations of EBITDA adjustments, and work with data to prepare financial models, identify trends and stimulate conversation
* Prepares operating and financial metrics including graphs, charts for discussion highlighting trends, areas of concern, etc
* Identify and conduct appropriate validation procedures around key financial statement items
* Documents work completed by preparing write ups and easily to follow methodology, taking into account possible alternatives and specific client circumstances
* Assists in proofing financial statements and other documents if appropriate.
* Prepares and indexes client files, and internal working papers
* Build relationships with, and speaks to, client personnel to obtain an understanding of their business operations, processes and functions.
* Some travel may be required (up to 30%), subject to COVID-19 considerations.
* Undergraduate degree in accounting and/or finance with a desire to build practical experience in an advisory/transactional arena
* CPA achieved or in progress
* At least 2 years of full time experience in a professional services environment
* Experience in professional services accounting, especially as it relates to working with and validating various sets of data. Ideally some experience in transactions related diligence
* Delivers high quality work under pressure in a high-pressure environment
* Plans and presents well-organized work product
* Desire to develop project execution skills and client deliverable experience
* Strong analytical and communication (written and oral) skills required
* Demonstrates ability to apply learnings from one transaction to the next, implementing new skills and techniques
* Applies knowledge of the client's industry when reviewing information, including preparing for clients discussions and focusing on specific areas for diligence.
* Seeks to improve skills through self-development
Six decades, overriding focus: our people and our clients.
GHJ was founded in 1953, making us one of the oldest independent firms in the Los Angeles area. Ranked as a top 20 largest accounting firm on the Los Angeles Business Journal's Book of Lists, the firm has 15 partners and approximately 170 staff members that serve over 3,000 clients. Our firm is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the AICPA Governmental Audit Quality Center (GAQC), Public Company Accounting Oversite Board (PCAOB), the California Society of CPAs and the California Association of Nonprofits (CAN). Collaboration and maintaining strong relationships are the cornerstones of our success.
We are also an independent member of HLB International, a worldwide organization of over 250 member professional accounting firms and business advisors. This affiliation gives us access to the subject matter experts of other member firms and provides consulting and professional services in over 158 countries through its nearly 800 offices worldwide.