Employment Type: Part-Time
About HELP USA
At HELP USA, we work to ensure that everyone has a place to call home. Were one of the nations largest homeless services providers and low-income housing developers serving at-risk populations including families, individuals, veterans, survivors of domestic violence, people with physical and mental health challenges and disabilities, and seniors. With an annual operating budget approaching $150 million and 1400 employees working in nearly 60 programs, we have helped over 500,000 people facing homelessness and poverty to build better lives. We hope that you will consider joining our team in the fight against homelessness.
HELP USA operates an after-school and summer camp program in Brooklyn for children ages five to thirteen living in homeless shelters, supportive housing, and elsewhere within the community. The program provides academic support, arts and crafts projects, athletic activities, and other age-appropriate activities. As Group Leader, youll report to the Program Director and work with an Educational Aide to lead a group of up to 20 children.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Planning and implementing daily lessons and activities including educational support, sports and recreation, arts and crafts, and group games.
* Developing and maintaining an atmosphere of consistency and fairness in which both children and staff cooperate.
* Engaging in outreach activities to ensure attendance and participation.
* Resolving conflict within your group, seeking assistance from other staff, supervisors and directors when necessary.
* Interacting with parents and guardians in a professional, fair, and gentle manner.
* Ensuring that the program room and spaces are kept neat and orderly.
* Associates Degree OR current enrollment in Bachelor's Degree program in Education, Social Work or a related field.
* Ability and desire to lead and participate in group activities.
* Commitment to working with youth from a variety of backgrounds and providing high quality services.
* Commitment to work from from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Proficiency in English and Math.
* Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office applications.
This is a part-time job, 3:00-7:00 Monday-Friday
EOE. A Drug Free Workplace.