Chief Mate - American Queen Voyages
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Chief Mate is part of the US Coast Guard licensed navigational watch team in additional to being part of the overall deck crew management team. The Chief Mate is the second license on watch while underway with the primary responsibility to provide support to the Pilot in way of safe navigation of the vessel. The Chief Mate reports directly to the Captain and is his/her first deputy in charge of overall safety, organization management and discipline on the vessel. Depending on vessel, the Chief Mate may be responsible for the supervision and administration of Deck Crew in terms of orderliness, appearance and fitness for duty, as well as is responsible for the well-being of all passengers and crew onboard the vessel.
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Responsible for the safety & well-being of all passengers, crew and the vessel
* Depending on vessel, may serve as head of Deck department
* Serves as the onboard Safety Officer
* Serve as Officer in Charge in Captain's absence
* Assist Captain in establishment of a safety 'culture' and take corrective action as situations may require
* Serve as Vessel Security Officer
* Responsible for supervision and administration of Deck crew in terms of orderliness, appearance and fit for duty
* Coordinate with all departments & act as the Captain's representative for routine vessel meetings and activities, depending on vessel
* Stand the navigational watch in the Pilothouse as the second license on duty
* Provide support to the Captain/Pilot to ensure safe navigation of the vessel; this includes but is not limited to:
* Checking bridge, power line & all vertical clearances
* Checking lock queues & notifying the lock of the vessel ETA
* Checking river stages, weather and other conditions that may affect the vessel
* Making security calls to scheduled ports of call
* Boat handling, steering & maneuvering as directed by the Master or Pilot
* Vessel traffic coordination
* Act as On Scene leader in all emergency response situations
* Respond to all Emergency Situations & General Alarms in accordance with the Station Bill
* Conduct security sweeps of landings
* Assist in deck management for landings, departures and locks as needed
* Check moorings, gangways, safety cones, railings, etc. once landing is made to ensure all is safe for passenger use
* Ensure all crew members receive Vessel Familiarization/Orientation once onboard within 24 hours
* Coordinate with Controller for maintaining stock & ordering of crew uniforms
* Ensure pertinent departmental issues are communicated up & down the Chain of Command
* Responsible to properly communicate all pertinent issues (including but not limited to
* personnel, departmental relations, vessel condition, etc.)
* Perform regular periodic inspections on general vessel safety & condition
* Ensures all life safety equipment, fire extinguishers, etc. are in place, in proper working order and possess
* current inspection certificates
* Perform any duties or tasks deemed necessary by the Captain or AQSC Management
* Always conduct yourself with a high level of professionalism fostering good working relationships
* with fellow departments & exercising a high degree of guest service
* Ensure behavior and performance supports the company's Mission; promotes year-round success of
* Protect the environment and comply with all applicable environmental regulations
* Properly manage & complete daily reporting requirements
* Under the direction of the Master, ensure vessel is operated within the USCG Certificate of Inspection and
* complies with all applicable USCG Regulations
* Maintain the highest standards of good marine practice & professionalism
* Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated drills and emergency procedures as directed
* Actively participates in embarking duties such as loading, unloading, luggage carrying, etc., as needed
* Performs other duties if required since above stated describe only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task needed to achieve results
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
* HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
* Bachelor's Degree from maritime academy or in a related field preferred
Professional Certification(s) or License:
* USCG Merchant Marine Credential - Minimum Mate - Any Gross Tons, AE requirement is 500 Ton Mate minimum
* FCC Marine Radio Operators License preferred
* Radar certification (rivers, inland or unlimited); endorsement necessary dependent on vessel
* Valid State ID
* Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) - ability to obtain and maintain
* Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be fluent in English
* Ability to interact with guests & crew in a pleasant and professional manner
* Must possess leadership & management qualities with the ability to give employees clear instructions & direction
* High degree of proficiency in hand/eye coordination and depth perception
* Computer literate with skills in Word, Excel and Power Point
* Ship handling & Z Drive experience is preferred
* At least five years of experience in position with similar duties and responsibilities; three of those years must be in a leadership or supervisory role
* Cruise industry experience preferred
* Must be at least 21 years of age.
* Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
* Additional requirements may be required depending on the physical needs of the role
Our Values- RESPECT
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Voyages, our mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests, but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we promise to engage to live those values:
* We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
* We are stewards of the Environment through practicing conservation, protection and education.
* We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe and secure workplace.
* We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following ways:
* We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
* We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited emotion.
* We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
* We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
* As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and passionately compete like an underdog.
* We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and not stuck in the past.
* We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
* We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
* We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not entertain politics and bureaucracy.
* Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody teamwork by:
* We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our teammates.
* We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too seriously.
* And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Voyages is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.