Senior Manager, Operational and Resilience Risk Payments and Transaction Processing Risk, USA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Global Operational and Resilience Risk (ORR) is a sub function of Group Risk. Its purpose is to make sure HSBC understands, and is in control of its non-financial risk position. In addition, the function provides resilience risk stewardship to the Business and Functions and the entities we operate in.
Payments and Transaction Processing risk is the risk of an unintentional failure, error or delay in the manual processing of transactions as instructed by a client, internally or through an authorized third party.
The Payments and Transaction Processing Risk Senior Manager will serve as a specialist as part of HSBC's second line of defense Operational and Resilience Risk team. The role holder will contribute his/her expertise in payments and transaction processing risks and controls to provide robust, credible, insightful and constructive oversight and challenge to first line of defense stakeholders. The role enables business-facing Operational and Resilience Risk teams to provide tailored expertise to risk and control owners.
The key accountabilities of the US ORR Payments and Transaction Processing Risk Senior Manager role include:
* Risk Management Expert: Experienced specialist in payment and transactional processing operational processes and controls.
* Risk Taxonomy: Leads the design, socialization, and implementation of HSBC's Payments and Transaction Processing risk and control taxonomy.
* Risk Appetite: Monitor US Resilience Risk Appetite and oversee first line of defense reporting to governance committees. Work with US ORR Business and Functions teams to ensure US businesses understand the impact of any Resilience Risk appetite breaches that require changes to controls, resources and business operations.
* Risk Policy: Provide subject matter expertise and credible challenge on US Resilience Risk policy dispensations and risk acceptances.
* Change and Event Incident Oversight: Provide oversight and challenge on key Payment and Transaction Processing issues, material internal incidents, external events, and strategic bank change programs to ensure risks are quantified and appropriate actions are taken.
* Risk Position and Challenge Papers: Deliver insightful and evidence-based papers pertaining to Payments and Transaction Processing risk to US boards, Risk Management Meeting (RMMs), Control Environment Management Meeting (CEMMs), and related forums.
* Regulatory Awareness: Apply expert guidance on HSBC's adherence to Payment and Transaction Processing Risk-related legislation and regulations from government organizations, regulators, and industry organizations.
* Influencer: Build and maintain relationships with key business and operational stakeholders, serving as a credible challenger regarding HSBC's Payment and Transaction Processing risk.
Impact on the Business
* Provide credible challenge across all payments and transaction processing risks within the USA both enabling business growth while maintaining related risks within appetite
* Responsible for the review of controls related to Payments and Transaction Processing risks
* Review of internal and external payments and transaction processing events
* Review and challenge first line of defense adoption of Standards, Processes and Procedures required to implement the Policy objectives
* Maintain on-going visibility of key payments and transaction processing initiatives and to help prioritize Resilience Risk oversight
* Provide risk opinion, guidance and credible challenge on payments and transaction processing related dispensation requests
* Provide credible challenge of scenario analysis activities for both capital adequacy and risk management purposes
* Provide credible challenge of the Risk and Control Assessment (RCA) process and the use of the Risk Taxonomy and Control Library to ensure relevant payments and transaction processing risks and controls are included in the RCA
* Provide oversight of Resilience Risk related incidents with a view to provide credible challenge that risk and impacts have been handled effectively
Customers / Stakeholders
* Influence and provide direction to the 1LOD and ORR Business & Functions team to ensure they fulfil own roles and responsibilities and manage payments and transaction processing risk according to the Group's frameworks and within stated appetite
* Build and maintain relationships with external partners, regulators, industry bodies and others to keep up to date with developments
* Manage relationships with wider ORR team
Leadership & Teamwork
* Challenge and influence to ensure specialist advice and guidance is understood and followed
* Work in conjunction with ORR Business & Functions team and the wider RR Specialist team
* Support diversity and reflect the HSBC brand and organizational values.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications (For the role - not the role holder. Minimum requirements of the role.)
* Subject matter expertise in payments or transaction processing risks, controls, processes, and/or systems.
* Knowledge of risk management principles. Direct experience with policy development, control definition, or application of controls in a business content preferred.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to present across different levels of the organization and through different formats.
* Excellent inter-personal skills, with an ability to manage relationships across all levels of the organization, credibly challenge first line role holders, and influence stakeholders.
* Analytically capable with an ability to review, interpret, and summarize broad and complex information.
* Strong teamwork, organization, time management, and complex problem solving skills.
* Sound judgment, keen sense of urgency, and high level of professional and personal integrity.
* Knowledge of US risk management and/or payments regulations and the external environment.
* Minimum of 8 years of experience in Risk, Operations, Front Office or related role.
* Bachelor's degree and/or professional certificate in related discipline required. MBA or graduate degree preferred.
* Providing Expert Advice and Robust Challenge
* Delivering Risk Steward Policies
* Oversee, Review, and Challenge Risks and Controls
* Understanding and Applying Risk Management in Context