Senior Tax Manager - US Tax
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Sr. Tax Manager - US Tax
Location: Toronto or Houston
Just Energy Values: Integrity, Innovation, Customer-centricity, Responsibility, Enrichment, Excellence
Who is Just Energy?
For more than 20 years, Just Energy has been a leading retail energy provider specializing in electricity and natural gas commodities, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. With offices located across the United States and Canada, Just Energy is a North American company serving over 1 million residential and commercial customers. As a trusted advisor, we're proud to provide homes and businesses with a broad range of solutions that deliver comfort, convenience and control.
Energy, Opportunity, and Growth are core to your way of being and are essential to succeed with us.
* You have the Energy to commit to going 'above and beyond' on everything you do, it is not the exception. You create success and deliver exceptional results. You expect that hard work is required to do great things.
* You seek Opportunity. You focus on solutions, not problems. You are naturally inquisitive, and business focused. You thrive working with diverse teams, and you are deeply committed to our collective success.
* Your Growth is about what you and your team accomplish together and is limited only by your energy and the opportunity you seek. You thrive on diversity in your work, on learning, and helping others learn as well.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Manager US Tax to join our Just Energy Tax Team. Reporting directly to the VP Tax, the Senior Manager will have primary responsibility over US tax accounting and compliance matters and will drive value for the organization as the US lead on tax planning initiatives and a strategic business partner on operating and business transaction projects.
* Direct support to VP Tax on enterprise-wide tax, operating and business transaction projects
* Driving value for the organization as the US lead on tax planning initiatives
* Develop manage and maintain relationships with key individuals across Finance, Operations, Legal, Treasury and Business Development and Human Resources to ensure tax is at the forefront of business decisions and any tax risks associated with new product or sales channels are proactively managed/mitigated
* Responsible for US tax compliance (i.e. income tax, sales and use tax) and the principle contact for government tax audits
* Responsible for the US quarterly and annual tax provision and related note disclosures
* Providing oversight of US tax payments and estimates communicated to Treasury and overall responsible over US tax accounts to ensure activity and balances appropriately reflect the Company's tax position and status
* Providing business analysis upon request, including NOL and tax credit and expected future cash taxes
* Ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place over the US Corporate and US Sales and Use tax functions
* Actively monitor, assess the impact of and respond to potential US tax changes impacting Just Energy
* Consistently monitor and evaluate the internal processes and guidelines to ensure efficiency and provide recommendations on optimizing and automating the tax function while minimizing tax risks
* Lead by example demonstrating Just Energy's core values on a consistent basis
This role Might be for you if:
Education, certifications, experience
* You have a Certified Public Accountant designation
* You have at 8 years' tax experience and have experience working with Canadian-based international organizations operating in multiple jurisdictions.
* You have a thorough understanding of tax accounting under IFRS and are experienced working on multi-national public company tax provisions
* You have strong US corporate tax knowledge and experience with International tax planning and Transfer Pricing.
* Specific knowledge of US Sales and Use Tax is highly valued
Strengths and abilities
* You are a strong team player who will partner in the process and be proactive
* You are a highly motivated self-starter and have demonstrated a commitment to continuous improvement
* You have and can demonstrate exceptional attention to detail
* You can communicate clearly, write well, and get along with others easily at all levels
* You are extremely organized and great at managing your time
* You can multi-task, prioritize, and work to deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
* You can demonstrate technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
* You have strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to take initiative and drive projects to completion
* You can change direction in response to unexpected events or circumstances
Just Energy offers a robust benefits plan for staff members, as well as Employee Assistance Programs that offer a wealth of tools and resources to enrich the employee experience. The company also provides a number of cost-free, self-development courses for those that wish to build on their skills and competencies. In addition, a variety of awards offer another opportunity to recognize and reward employees.
What We Have to Offer:
* Competitive compensation
* Deferred Profit Sharing Plan (employer paid)
* Registered Retirement Savings Account
* Health & Dental benefits begin on hire date
* Paid personal time off days
* Business casual
* Free parking
* Company paid Short-term Disability and Life Insurance
* Employee discount opportunities
* Personal development resources
* Health and wellbeing tools and resources
Just Energy is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create an accessible and rewarding work environment, which highlights our employees' unique contributions to our company's success. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds to help build a workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers and communities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.