Sr. Trial Attorney
Employment Type: Full-Time
Kemper is one of the nation's leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper's products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
If you're looking for the next challenge, we would love to have you join our dedicated legal team. We are seeking an experienced Senior Legal Counsel to join our team. This role handles the more technical/complicated lawsuits, defends insureds, uninsured motorist claims and represents the Company in appropriate circumstances.
* Handles legal work on assigned cases.
* Aggressively pursues files referred to House Counsel by the Claims Department.
* Creates and maintains a documented strategy for case handling in each assigned case to include a synopsis of the intangible factors, i.e. the judge, plaintiff attorney, aggravating factors, etc.
* Assists, as needed, in preparation of reports on new laws, legislation, insurance regulations and appellate decisions relevant to the insurance industry.
* Keeps Litigation Specialists and Adjusters appraised of status of cases, at no greater than 60 day intervals. Ensures that all files handled are properly documented and organized.
* Provides prompt and timely responses to all telephone calls and correspondence.
* Assists, as needed, with day to day management of the legal office, including supervising other attorneys and staff in the Managing Attorney's absence.
* Utilizes and/or ensures use of case management software for maintaining notes, diary, calendar, billing, etc., on cases assigned to House Counsel and in accordance with established Company operating guidelines, procedures and legal and ethical requirements / guidelines.
* Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Must have regular predictable attendance.
* Required to travel as needed.
* 7 years of experience as a trial attorney
* Prior experience handling insurance defense work is preferred.
* Must be a current member of the Bar in the State where practicing and maintain necessary licensing and continuing education requirements throughout employment.
* Required to travel as needed.
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.