Manager, Software Engineering
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Manager, SW Engineering
Job Location: Herndon, Virginia
L3Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers' toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform, and protect. L3Harris supports government and commercial customers around the world.
The L3Harris Surveillance and Automation Solutions Business Area has opened a Manager, Software Engineering position to support surveillance missions involving manned and unmanned systems. This business area is a recognized, vibrant, and growing organization providing unsurpassed engineering, management, operations, implementation, and information solutions for worldwide Air Traffic Control. We are in the forefront of the FAA's NextGen Airspace Modernization Programs, international Air Traffic Control Systems initiatives, and next generation timing and location solutions. This work includes modernizing from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management, improving communications between pilots and air traffic controllers enabling more efficient operations and reducing communications errors and radio congestion, and developing leading-edge concepts in all dimensions of air traffic control.
In this role, you will be responsible for functional management of the Software Engineering and Software Configuration Management (SCM) personnel and the ideal candidate will bring a blend of leadership knowledge and comprehensive knowledge within the software and SCM discipline. This position encompasses responsibility for personnel management and career development in a matrixed organization. The Software GL responsibilities will be worked in conjunction with other technical and direct labor tasking as approximately 50% of the role will be dedicated to Software GL duties while the remaining 50% will be spent working directly on programs and proposal activities.
* Actively involved in all phases of the software life cycle for various manned and unmanned Air Traffic Management systems.
* Responsibilities include planning, developing, and coordinating employee training and professional development requirements, including conducting performance reviews, talent assessment, career development planning, salary and merit planning, and recognition.
* Identify and implement discipline-specific improvements to engineering processes, promoting cross-team and cross-functional collaboration and mentoring.
* Establish short-term operational plans and provide performance metrics to calibrate bid accuracy and function/business area results.
* Ensure software products are released at the appropriate points in the program lifecycle.
* Support collection and analysis of metrics related to software performance, along with associated process improvements.
* Develop the technical competence in staff to close skill gaps and to achieve satisfactory succession planning.
* Support proposal activities, including validation of basis of estimates.
* Meet Company specified goals flowed down from executive management.
* Create and maintain project and product line documentation to support project deliverables and follow-on development efforts across the surveillance product line.
* Derive requirements, design, implement, integrate, release, and test software for various manned and unmanned Air Traffic Management systems.
* Provide weekly status to the project and engineering leadership.
* Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
* Must be a US Citizen.
* BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
* Minimum fifteen years of prior relevant experience.
* Ten (10) years of experience leading software technical teams and delegating work assignments.
* Minimum of five (5) years' experience with Agile, DevOps and Software Configuration Management.
* Knowledge and experience in advanced software engineering and Software CM technologies
* Experience with hiring, training, career development planning, and any disciplinary activities.
* Hands-on experience in software development, testing and releasing of real-time software products/systems.
Preferred Additional Skills:
* Strong initiative with an ability to work in a dynamic team-oriented environment.
* Software Automation techniques and tools.
* Experience with DevOps tools including Experience with Atlassian tools, Jira, Confluence, GitLab, Git.
* Software build/release and continuous deployment.
* Broad systems experience with emphasis in systems integration (hardware and software) and testing.
* Hands-on experience with data networks including knowledge of network protocols.
* Previous experience using Linux operating systems.
* Previous experience with FAA systems/programs is a plus.
* Hands-on experience with SQL databases.
* Hands-on experience with avionics, RF data links, RADAR systems.
* The successful candidate will possess strong initiative, curiosity, and desire to learn.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize customer issues and needs, and work across a wide variety of systems.
* Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication skills#06022021