Senior Transmission Line Engineering Manager
Industry: Project Management
Leidos is seeking a Senior Transmission Line Engineering Manager to work in our Chicago, Lisle, IL or Novi, MI office who will work as the leader of a dynamic team working from multiple offices, solving challenging problems for our clients’ electric transmission line projects. The successful candidate will serve as the Sr. Engineering Manager and Project Manager for electric transmission line projects for high-voltage (HV) and extra high-voltage (EHV) overhead and underground electric lines. He/she will apply NESC, NEC, ASCE and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of electric transmission projects. Additionally, he/she will assist the team as well as independently perform: engineering analyses, quality assurance checks, prepare proposals and estimates, plans and specifications, and prepare material procurement and construction documents. He/she will work directly with client stakeholders in project planning, engineering, environmental, permitting, or construction management. The position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to develop an engineering team with direct report responsibilities. The candidate will also be responsible for managing client relations, proposal development, scope creation, and project management.
Business acumen and an understanding of project performance metrics is required. The candidate must have a thorough understanding of performance metrics, and be able to identify potential risks and opportunities to add value. She or he must be able to work with contracts and understand commercial terms.
This is a senior leadership role accountable to the Section Manager with primary responsibilities in staff management, project execution and new business capture. The successful candidate will be able to communicate clear expectations, goals, and vision; manage the performance of direct reports; motivate, coach and mentor skilled professionals and appropriately delegate project work. The candidate must be capable to manage collaboration and conflict resolution to achieve successful results.
It is a fundamental expectation that the winning candidate will practice behaviors supporting diversity and inclusion.
Required Experience & Education:
- 15+ years of relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems from 69kV to 500kV
- 5+ years of experience successfully managing direct reports and growing a team
- 5+ years of experience successfully managing projects
- Demonstrated experience in business capture and sales support
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural or Electrical Engineering, (MS preferred)
- Professional Engineering Registration in at least one US state or equivalent is required
- Capability to review engineering calculations, drawings, specifications and PLS-CADD models
- Work effectively in a team environment; can also work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Ability to develop staff through mentoring and training
- Knowledge of NESC code requirements, construction cost estimating, specification, material procurement processes, project schedule creation, and construction work packages
- Client interface and periodic travel will be required
- PLS-CADD, POLE, and TOWER
- LPILE or FAD
- Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
Helpful Program Experience:
- CAD or GIS experience
- Bentley ProjectWise
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.