Scientist Preclinical Biochemistry- Analytical Sciences
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Scientist - Analytical Sciences works within the Functional Biochemistry subgroup of Analytical Sciences supporting Ligand's Pelican Expression Technology. The Scientist is responsible for conducting flow cytometry, FACS, and SPR experiments.
PELICAN (a wholly owned subsidiary of Ligand Pharmaceuticals Incorporated) is a full-cycle development and licensing biotechnology company focused on leveraging its Pelican Expression Technology to improve protein therapies for unmet patient needs. Using the patented Pelican Expression Technology, the Company has created an advanced pipeline of therapeutic equivalents, vaccines, biologics and biosimilars. See pelicanexpression.com for more details about the exciting science being performed at Ligand.
Essentials for Working at Ligand * Ligand is a dynamic, fast-paced organization committed to creating shareholder value through developing and acquiring royalty revenue generating assets and coupling them to a lean corporate cost structure. To be successful at Ligand, employees must be innovative, efficient, versatile, self-starters who take great pride in their work and want to contribute to something significant.
Essential Role Responsibilities
* Conduct Cell-based assays and testing via Flow Cytometry, FACS, and SPR
* Assist in developing and optimizing new biochemical and cell-based assays to support preclinical research
* Plan and execute experiments as required
* Analyze data, keep meticulous record and maintain Electronic Lab Notebook in accordance with company rules
* Provide expertise to other colleagues in the company
* Maintain laboratory equipment and perform general laboratory duties as required
* BS, MS or PhD in Cell Biology, Biochemistry or related field
* Minimum 5 years of biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience is required for BS; 3 years for MS; 1 year for PhD
* Demonstrated ability and experience as follows:
* Mammalian cell culture experience is required
* Proficiency with Flow Cytometry, FACS, and SPR
* Proficiency with ELISA, qPCR, MSD, Plate-based assays (HTRF, luminescence)
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office, SoftMax Pro and GraphPad Prism; JMP or PLA is a plus
* Experience in presentation of scientific data, including PowerPoint presentations
* Prior experience or expertise in Cell-based assay development in 96- or 384-well format is preferred (e.g ß-arrestin, internalization, cAMP)
* Experience in Biolayer Interferometry or Luminex multiplex instrumentation is a plus
* Assay development, qualification and validation experience is preferred
* Experience with liquid handling automation is desired
* Excellent organizational skills, able to multi-task and excited for hand-on laboratory research
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Proven ability to multitask, work in a lean organization and creatively solve problems
The company offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Short/Long term disability and life insurance, as well as 401(k) match, Stock Options, Bonus, and paid time leave.
* All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
* Ligand is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
* Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
* Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply