PI Analytics Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
The PI Analytics Manager combines technical and business skill sets to promote and support improved performance through data and analytics, has a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets, and is experienced at working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes. He/she is adept at leveraging data to find opportunities for process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. The PI Analytics Manager has demonstrated experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods and tools, building and implementing models, creating/running simulations, and developing performance measurement systems. The PI Analytics Manager has a proven ability to drive business results with his/her data-based insights and is comfortable working with clinical and operational stakeholders from across the system and with PI project teams. He/she manages relationships with PI leaders and key stakeholders to inform and manage a robust project portfolio, effectively transition responsibilities to operational partners, and drive a culture of continuous improvement and data-driven decision making. The PI Analytics Manager is responsible for collecting business requirements, data source identification, dashboard development, reporting, analysis, and interpretation. He/she is skilled in working with operational, financial and clinical data from disparate sources, including EMR, payroll, general ledger, and hospital inpatient/outpatient data. # Minimum Qualifications # Education/Training: Bachelor#s Degree in the healthcare field, analytics, biostatistics, informatics, business, or engineering. MBA or Master#s degree in a related field preferred. # Experience: 5 years of experience in performance management and metrics implementation, statistical analysis, visualization, and/or data analysis, preferably in a leadership role. 3 years of experience in a healthcare environment. 3 years# experience with operational and/or clinical data. Experience using statistical computer languages and software (R, Python, SQL, Minitab, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets. Experience with mathematical process modeling, including discrete event simulation, linear programming, system dynamics, queuing theory and Monte Carlo simulation. # License/Certification/Registration: Business and/or healthcare analytics certification (i.e. PBA, CBAP, CCBA) strongly preferred. Lean, Six Sigma Certification/Training strongly preferred. # Knowledge, Skills # Abilities: # Proficient in principles and practical application of performance improvement and project management methods and tools Demonstrated ability to understand business need(s) and conduct appropriate analysis to translate data into actionable insights Advanced skill in MS Excel, SQL and Tableau Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks Experience in the application of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical hypothesis tests and proper usage, etc.) Exceptional ability to collaborate, influence and proactively facilitate strategic decisions at an executive level Demonstrated leadership and communication abilities Strong organizational awareness and emotional intelligence Excellent resilience, comfort with ambiguity and bias toward results # Primary Duties and Responsibilities # [ANALYTICS] Demonstrates ease of working with unstructured data. Finds relationships across data sets and integrates data to unlock actionable information. Navigates and programs data extracts from relational databases (e.g. SQL). Uses computer languages and software (Python, SQL, etc.) and applies of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets. [ANALYTICS] Presents complex data with simplicity of design in a clear, easy to understand format. Visualizes data effectively, using Tableau, to communicate complex ideas with clarity, precision, and efficiency in a manner that ensures accurate comprehension by the recipient. Delivers presentations of the work for various stakeholders, ensuring that audiences of all skill levels have a reasonable understanding of the analysis, the results and the meaning/implications of the work outputs. [ANALYTICS] Tests data for statistically significant differences, e.g. before/after implementation of a change, or comparing performance of a pilot unit vs. a control unit. Leverages control charts to monitor performance. Clearly and succinctly explains and presents performance-related data and trends to stakeholders. [ANALYTICS] Identifies variances and potential performance improvement opportunities in complex multi-hospital clinical and operational processes.# Capable of asking oneself the right questions to arrive at sophisticated findings and conclusions.# Provides skillful analysis of complex clinical and operational data. [ANALYTICS] Establishes and manages production data and analytics processes and deliverables. Develops and performs QA processes to ensure data accuracy. Troubleshoots issues and errors. Enhances analyses and dashboards as requested. Creates innovative solutions to automate the production of standard reporting and dashboards. [ANALYTICS] Uses mathematical process modeling, including discrete event simulation, linear programming, system dynamics, queuing theory, machine learning techniques, and Monte Carlo simulation.# [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Applies a structured problem-solving framework to collaboratively define and resolve complex business problems from data project conception to solution development, sustainment of results, and transition to operational ownership. [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Demonstrates data analytics capabilities through development of meaningful KPIs and measurement systems to baseline current performance, measure quantifiable improvement, and drive outcomes that impact MedStar#s business operations. Uses both lagging and leading indicators to characterize, troubleshoot and support sustainable change to business processes. [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Facilitates/leads business requirements and design sessions. Identifies appropriate data sources and works with data owners to obtain appropriate data access (via database access, extracts, reports). Partners with stakeholders to ensure data accuracy, develops data definitions, business rules for metric calculations and validation of outputs. [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Establishes a strong project foundation through creation of planning documents in collaboration with PI leads, sponsors, and the team, including project charters, project plans, team structures, work breakdown structures, etc. [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Incorporates sound change management strategies into project plans based on thorough stakeholder and organizational assessments. Leverages industry best practice change management methods and tools, and measures effectiveness of change through measurement of utilization of analytics tools and products. [PI PROJECT LEADERSHIP] Proactively manages and communicates risks and barriers, manages transition of new processes, drives and communicates results, and celebrates successes. [ENGAGEMENT LEADERSHIP] Develops relationships of trust, collaboration and influence with project sponsors, process owners and corporate and entity senior leadership groups. Builds and expands upon professional network through regular interactions with stakeholders, requests for feedback and guidance, and proactive thought leadership during MedStar events and activities. Impacts MedStar#s business through engagement strategies and driving the adoption of analytics for making operational decisions and enacting change. [INTERNAL LEADERSHIP] Recognized as a leader by peers and teammates by modeling traits that are consistent with MedStar#s values and are broadly influential across the department and the organization. Provides guidance and mentorship to teammates through regular discussion of expectations, career goals/ambitions, strategic advice, and opportunities for improvement. Identifies the strengths of others and leverages their skills to manage uncertain situations, especially in team settings. Performs other duties as assigned.
* Job Summary
* Develops and leads data management plans to analyze data and to identify and report trends. Leadsdatabase interpretation, reporting, analysis, and presentations. Supports teamï¿½s various performanceimprovement efforts. Identifies operational and business improvement opportunities through functioning as anoperational data analyst, facilitator, consultant, and/or project manager as required within operationalperformance improvement initiatives. Provides related consultative and educational services to staff andleadership as necessary to ensure meaningful action on data presented. Utilizes experience in analyzingoperational and financial reports, developing process improvement procedures, developing specific databasefor collection tracking and reporting of data, performing business process improvements, operational decisionsupport information systems (Truven Health Analyticsï¿½ Action OI), and productivity management and relevanttools.
* Minimum Qualifications
* Masterï¿½s degree in Industrial/Systems Engineering or related engineering field or Bachelorï¿½sdegree in Industrial/Systems Engineering or related engineering field.
* 3 years of experience as Business Operations Analyst or related in healthcare industry withMasterï¿½s degree or 5 years of progressive experience as Business Operations Analyst or related in healthcareindustry with Bachelorï¿½s degree.
* Valid RN or technical license in the State of Maryland for clinical applicants.
* Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Ability to facilitate a complex team to defined outcomes in a timely manner. Advanced workingknowledge of various computer software applications. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Skillin analysis and presentation of complex clinical and operational data preferred.
* Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Assists in the development, achievement and evaluation of department goals, objectives, budget, policies and procedures. Ensures that department operates within budget. Ensures compliance with governmental and accreditation regulations in any recommendations for performance improvement.
* Contributes to development of standards of performance for the department, assists in evaluating performance, and conducts performance management planning. Maintains ongoing communication with peers to review programs, provide feedback, and discuss new developments and exchange information. Shares personal expertise with peers and seeks peersï¿½ expertise appropriately.
* Delivers written and oral presentations of the department's work in a professional, persuasive manner.
* Helps develop MedStar leaders in various managerial roles including database management and analysis, evidence-based health care, continuous clinical and operational improvement processes and methods. Acts as a consultant/coach to leadership as necessary. Develops tools to enhance the effectiveness of MedStar leaders as appropriate to assigned projects. Develops and maintains good working relationships with other MedStar associates in various roles throughout the system.
* Identifies variances and potential performance improvement opportunities in clinical and operational processes, outcomes and cost data. Develops and recommends clinical and operational improvements and collaborates with local leadership to develop action plans to accomplish improvements.
* Initiates, exhibits and supports excellent two-way communication and working relationships with all audiences to foster ongoing information exchange during the development and implementation of clinical and operational initiatives.
* Initiates, facilitates, guides and appropriately closes complex clinical and operational improvement processes. Supports local leadership in the process. Supports teams and their members to accomplish clinical and operational work in an efficient, quality focused manner so as to contribute positively to the achievement of departmental and system goals. Uses operations improvement process to reinforce the mission and values of MedStar Health as an integrated delivery system.
* Leads the solution of a diverse array of problems associated with improving operational and clinical practice. Develops solutions that incorporate business logic, customer needs and appropriate change management techniques to ensure sustained improvements are implemented.
* Manages improvement projects as assigned to meet established goals and time lines. Effectively and efficiently influences processes, outcomes and behaviors to complete assignments in a timely and quality focused manner.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Plans and executes work to be done in concert with the needs of MedStar leadership. Develops, maintains and revises work plans as appropriate to the work. Monitors outcomes. Integrates work with all other departmental initiatives and revises as necessary. Anticipates needs of customers and addresses these appropriately.
* Prepares, analyzes and presents detailed clinical, utilization, financial and other information to support the work (utilization rates, staffing levels, volume analysis, cost analysis). Performs relevant benchmarking as appropriate to the work. Develops presentations of the information that inform audiences in a clear, accurate manner.
* Responsible for the quality control of individual work, and reviewing the work of others as appropriate. Provides high-quality, high-value outputs to customers on a regular basis.