Principal PM Manager Lead
Employment Type: Full-Time
Since its formation in 2016, Microsoft's AI, Ethics, and Effects in Engineering and Research (Aether) Committee has served in an advisory role to Microsoft's Senior Leadership Team (SLT) on questions, challenges, and opportunities with the responsible development and fielding of AI technologies.
The Aether Committee works closely with the Office of Responsible AI (ORA) and with corporate divisions. The main board and its working groups engage in engineering efforts, perform studies, and evaluate the implications of different usage scenarios for AI.
Aether is currently seeking a Technical Program Manager to guide and support the cross-company lifecycle through which research on Responsible AI (RAI) is translated into software tools and practices that benefit Microsoft teams and customers.
Required qualifications for this role include:
* 8+ years' experience in engineering Program Management roles supporting engineering and/or research teams.
* 2+ years of people management experience.
* Learning systems at scale in the open world.
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
* BS, MS, or PhD degree (or equivalent work experience) in one or more of the following fields: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Human-Computer Interaction, Data Science, Computer Science, Ethics
* Experience in deploying AI or Machine Learning.
* Deep technical knowledge of AI and Machine Learning systems, ideally with regards to ethical or socio-technical considerations in deploying AI and ML.
* Exceptional cross-group orchestrations skills and an ability to operate within a fast-moving, highly ambiguous corporate environment.
* Strong communication and presentation skills and an ability to collaborate with different disciplines and roles in research, engineering, legal, etc.
* Experience working in an industrial or academic research environment is highly desirable
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The specific scope of work for this role includes the following:
* Maintain an integrated research and engineering roadmap that documents key RAI research investments across Microsoft and maps these investments to productization opportunities.
* Evaluate gaps and overlaps in this roadmap and advise Aether leadership on investment modifications to ensure optimal coverage of the RAI landscape
* Facilitate connections between RAI researchers and product teams in order to accelerate the maturation and productization of promising research
* Drive ad-hoc, cross-company knowledge initiatives to develop a technical point of view on key RAI topics
* Support the planning and operations of Aether's Engineering Practices Working Group in its work to deliver RAI tools and other artifacts across Microsoft