Product Equipment Technician
Employment Type: Full-Time
Collaboration drives Nordson's success as a market leader in Industrial Precision Solutions and Advanced Technology. Our employees thrive in an environment where we help each other reach our personal best and enable our company to continuously improve and grow, and our customers to succeed. You will find Nordson employees sharing our success by giving back in the communities around the world where we live and work.
Nordson MEDICAL designs, engineers and manufactures complex devices and components with applications in wound healing, surgical and minimally invasive, fluid management, pulmonology and interventional and structural heart. Our pioneering Advanced Polymers team was the first to manufacture and supply medical balloons to the medical device industry. Nordson MEDICAL works with doctors, start-ups and large medical companies around the world at any point in the product lifecycle, from concept to launch and beyond.
This position is primarily responsible for the set up, troubleshooting, and up-time of various automated and manual packaging equipment. The Product Equipment Technician (PET) works to develop and enhance the programs and setup on these machines to increase accuracy, efficiency, and throughput. The PET will also set up and program automated de-gating equipment used at the press during plastic injection molding operations, and will be instrumental in the development and refinement of programs and processes used by these robotic devices. The PET works daily in the company's ERP system (IFS) to verify and enter data while ensuring the timely completion of all assignments. This position will ensure proper line clearance of all equipment prior to the start of any new Shop Order while ensuring all packaging equipment is properly set up to accurately and repeatedly produce the required bag sizes, labeling, and part count while validating that the bag appearance and its contents meet the quality expectations of Value Plastics, Inc. Furthermore, this position will serve as a back-up for other responsibilities such as visual AQL inspection and part cleaning operations. The successful PET is capable of operating with a close knit team in a busy multitasking environment where a diverse product and equipment programming mix is the norm and astute attention to quality and detail are required.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
* Retrieves and interprets appropriate Shop Order scheduling information from Company ERP system.
* Prior to the start of a new Shop Order, the Technician verifies part numbers, colors, visual characteristics, and appropriate dimensional aspects to ensure that parts match the appropriate Shop Order information and drawings.
* During bagging operations, the Technician performs random visual inspection of individual product and packaged product to ensure that all quality/quantity expectations are being met.
* Responsible for detailed line clearance of all parts handling equipment, tubs and work areas between and during operational runs as well as the overall cleanliness of machine(s) and surrounding work areas.
* Responsible for creation and verification of proper bag quantities and tub labeling information as specified for each Shop Order.
* Establishes and/or refines existing software programs to process parts through automated equipment. This includes, all ancillary equipment used for secondary operations (i.e. K-Cut, Yushin, HOP series Sprue Pickers, VNX Robots, Conveyors, and At the Press bagging operations etc.).
* Troubleshoot equipment to maintain maximum equipment utilization, uptime, and accuracy.
* For manual bagging operations, this position will calibrate and set up part weigh count scales for bagging operations and tub bag quantity verification.
* Movement of bulk and finished packaged items throughout all process in the department, consolidating, labeling, and scanning of packages and storage containers while validating lot control and segregation.
* Helps to maintain and service all packaging and ancillary equipment by performing low level maintenance and troubleshooting. Will work with the Manufacturing Engineer, Manufacturing Manager and Maintenance Staff to identify continuous improvements, ideas, equipment and modifications and/or updates to equipment documentation (i.e. Work Instructions, PM requirements or physical modifications).
* Applies company quality standards and makes appropriate evaluation of quality conformance.
* Creates Fault Reports to record product or equipment defects within the company ERP system.
* Value Plastics, Inc. operates a Monday thru Friday shift, as well Friday thru Monday (e.g. 4-10s). The Product Equipment Technician must be willing to work either of the shifts or other extended hours to support production requirements.
* Provides Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) support by receiving and inspecting incoming parts and records findings in company ERP system. With appropriate training, will be proficient at multiple ERP transactions and reports. (i.e. Attendance, Time for SO, Operation tasks, Part Counts and Justification, Scrap, Transport Tasks, Break Bag Functions, and Pending Order Fulfillment).
* Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor (i.e. written and/or verbal).
Education and Experience Requirements
* High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required.
* A minimum of 1-3 years experience operating automated equipment.
* Minimum of 1-year experience using computers, bar code equipment, inspection equipment, etc. is required.
* Prior experience in running automated packaging equipment is desired.
Skills and Abilities
* Must have an aptitude for and good understanding of operation and function of automated electro-mechanical equipment such as automated parts handling, baggers, de-gating robots, conveyors, etc.
* Must be able to interpret mechanical drawings (dimensions, tolerances, etc.)
* Must be able to use standard measuring/inspection devices (i.e. micrometer, digital scales, gauge pins, microscope, non-contact measuring equipment, caliper, etc.) for quality assurance purposes.
* Must understand and be able to apply appropriate ISO 9001 concepts.
* Must understand and be able to apply SPC (Statistical Process Control) concepts when shown.
* Well developed written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, detailed work instructions and sophisticated product/equipment training and troubleshooting guides. Ability to write clear and concise correspondence.
* Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
* Basic math skills (i.e. ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals). Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs as required.
* Good analytical skills. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.