Ground Space Segment Mission Systems and Integration Lead
Employment Type: Full-Time
Peraton drives missions of consequence spanning the globe and extending to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. As the worlds leading mission capability integrator and transformative enterprise IT provider, we deliver trusted and highly differentiated national security solutions and technologies that keep people safe and secure. Peraton serves as a valued partner to essential government agencies across the intelligence, space, cyber, defense, civilian, health, and state and local markets. Every day, our 22,000 employees do the cant be done, solving the most daunting challenges facing our customers.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
As a government contractor, Peraton abides by the following provision
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of the other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c).
The contract provides Mission Systems Engineering & Integration (MSE&I) support for a government customer in the areas of space systems Tracking, Transport and Ground segments. The role of the team is to ensure the segments operate in unison to support mission scenarios and experiments, specifically: the Ground Segment Elements function as an integrated entity providing telemetry, tracking and commanding (TT&C), mission data uplink/downlink, mission planning and payload tasking, constellation operations, and integrated cross-domain network management in support of on-orbit demonstrations; System, cross-Segment, and external dependencies and interfaces are understood, documented, and managed; Systems engineering support is provided to system-level and segment level systems engineering activities so that they have support beyond what is provided by the space vehicle (SV) and ground contracts; and Gaps in support for launch operations, mission operations, security, information technology (IT), and other areas have a means for closure.
Lead the Ground Segment Mission Systems and Integration (MSE&I) efforts for a fast-paced program supporting a government customer. Lead a team of Engineers working Mission Integration for integrating 28 smallsats into a common ground command and control and mission management system which supports OPIR tracking Space Vehicles and Transport Space Vehicles.
The successful MSE&I Ground Segment Lead will support the Mission Integration efforts supporting a new government customer.
Tasks include assessing the capabilities planned for the satellite vehicle Tracking and Transport segments, and how these interact with the ground architecture. The Ground Segment MSE&I team will support development of an implementation plan to ensure compatibility and interoperability of the combined system.
The ideal candidate will have experience integrating space systems with ground mission systems, and experience with GEOINT OPIR missions, mesh network capabilities, low-latency high-bandwidth optical link capabilities, network management, tactical data links (Link-16 and IBS) mission planning, and the DoD elements already conducting critical warfighter missions.
The Ground architecture is in the early stages of development.
The selected candidate will support further development of the Ground system in the following ways:
* Support efforts to perform System-level requirements development, requirements flow-down, interface design, integration, and verification
* Work with the Ground Segment, mission partners and Space Vehicle vendors to develop solutions incorporating the requirements of space vehicle satellite segments and externals such as:
* Custody algorithm hosting
* Link-16 and IBS message generation, encapsulation, and routing
* Ground segment interface into mission data processing enterprise
* External interface management
* Payload planning, scheduling, and tasking.
* Determine where gaps exist and perform trades to determine options
* Work with stakeholders (Segments, Users, Partners) to define operational details, lower-level use cases, requirements, interfaces, and mission threads.
* Evaluate the demonstrations, simulations, and testing required to demonstrate mission capability and document the interfaces, internal and external operations and resources required to successfully accomplish them
* Provide Ground equity input for the development of a System Concept of Operations (CONOPS)
* Provide input to Systems Architects to develop architectural and technical schematics showing interactions (e.g., operational functions, data, physical connections, and timing) among the segments and their various elements
* Support Risk reduction activities and end-to-end demonstration plans coordinated with the Transport Segment and elements
* Provide data to support information mapping mission capabilities to System and Segment requirements and verification activities
* Support development of Mission Operation & Launch, Orbital adjustment, Initializations, Calibrations, Fault Isolation & Anomaly handling, and Early Operations planning
* Support development of required Interface Control Documents (ICDs) & implementation of external WAN/internal LAN connections, to include optical networks & cloud environments
* At least 10 years of experience leading a small team of engineers integrating Space Vehicles into a ground architecture (Mission Planning and Management and C2)
* Experience required supporting similar Space Domain architectures
* Requirements management experience & experience writing system level requirements, allocating requirements to segments, performing trace assessment of implementation-level requirements to system requirements, secure networks crypto requirements, and hands-on experience planning/executing test, demos, verification & validation activities
* Space systems experience with specific experience supporting ground systems integration, space-ground architectures, antenna networks, & experience with Mission Management, Constellation Management, and/or Network Management software
* Ability to travel as needed to Government sites, Ground sites and development contractor locations
* Requires 12 to 15 years with BS/BA or 10 to 13 years with MS/MA or 7 to 9 years with Ph.D.
* Minimum TS Clearance required
* Satellite Ground Mission Operations and Sustainment experience
* Familiarity with the NRLs Blossom Point Tracking Facility (BPTF)
* Familiarity with BPTFs Neptune, Ocean and VMOC software
* Experience supporting and interacting with SMC and the Missile Defense Agency (MDA)
* Experience supporting Agile Software Development
* SAFe Agile Training, Professional Certification, & Hands-On Implementation experience
* Familiarity with Link-16 capabilities