Public Safety Officer - Security, Full-time Evening Shift
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Public Safety Officer is responsible for maintaining a secure environment at the front line of service. Ensures patients, employees, visitors, and guests are served and protected and that contents and assets of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab are secured. Patrols and identifies potentially harmful, dangerous or unsafe situations and ensures they are addressed.
The Public Safety Officer will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Public Safety Officer will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Public Safety Officer:
* Patrols assigned areas, searching for safety hazards, presence of unauthorized persons, and other potential sources of harm to persons or property.
* Maintains secure facilities, ensuring entrances are locked as required, controlling authorized access to rooms and offices.
* Responds to burglar, robbery and fire alarms disturbances, as well as suspicious persons, accidents, and other various public service calls.
* Conducts preliminary investigation on complaints, incidents and accidents, and prepares written reports on activities and investigations.
* Enforces all hospital safety and security rules and regulations as required including but not limited to smoking and parking policies.
* Maintains departmental equipment, including uniforms and accessories,
* Provides directions and general information to patients, visitors and staff, including assisting patients in and out of vehicles and wheelchairs when necessary.
* Assists with traffic control of the main driveway and parking garage including escorting patients, visitors, and employees to parking areas
* Transports prescriptions, blood gases, patient stats, and doctors' orders as needed.
Performs all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
* Reports directly to Security Shift Sergeants or Security Lieutenant
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
* Completion of a high school diploma.
* Minimum of 20 Hours Training outlined by the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, or certification as a Peace Officer in the State of Illinois.
* Minimum 3 years of security experience, or an associate's degree in criminal justice or military experience.
* Knowledge of security procedures, investigation techniques and reporting and public safety rules and codes. Three to six month's orientation to acquire necessary familiarity with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab policies and procedures.
* Strong interpersonal skills necessary to provide courteous assistance to employees, visitors, and staff and to confront and control potentially hostile persons.
* Capable of providing effective assistance in restraining abusive or hostile persons.
* Knowledge of proper body mechanics for transferring patients into and out of vehicles.
* Ability to utilize Outlook, Cerner, Informacast, and C-Cure systems
* Valid State of Illinois Drivers License and a clean MVR record free from moving violations.
* Within the first 12 months of employment*
* Certified in IAHSS Beginner Course.
* Normal office environment with some exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
* Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
* Able to lift up to 35 lbs.
* Position is subject to work weekends and holidays.
* Ability to climb, walk, run, and stand or sit for long periods.
* Occasional risks to personal safety when confronting and restraining individuals.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.