Boiler Plant Operator
Employment Type: Full-Time
General Statement of Duties
Fires and maintains the operation of steam boilers and ventilating system in a power plant; assists and makes repairs to operating parts; maintains good housekeeping in power plant and other areas as required. Opens and closes valves and adjusts controls. Records data and maintains logs on such matters as temperatures, fuel consumption, etc.; and performs related work as required.
Please note: This position is 16 hours per week on a rotating shift schedule, with fluctuating days.
Duties and Responsibilities
E1. Operates boilers under direction of the Staff Assistant and/or his assistant
E2. Maintains proper steam pressure and water levels on boilers
E3. Operates and maintains feed and vacuum pumps and other related boiler room apparatus
E4. Scrapes out tubes and boiler plates; prepares boilers for inspections
E5. Takes and records daily meter readings of pressures, water levels, and oil levels; makes tests on boiler water as required; orders fuel oil as needed
E6. Opens and closes valves and adjusts controls to regulate fuel flow, air flow, water level, steam pressure, etc., to ensure safe and efficient operation of boilers
E7. Checks/monitors operating systems to detect faulty operating equipment, to determine necessary repairs to notify appropriate personnel and/or to determine when to shut equipment down
E8. Exercises judgment in the determination of starting and shutting down equipment, as needed, based on outside weather conditions
E9. Monitors and records CO2, O2 and CO readings and determines most efficient firing rates for all boilers
E10. Checks, monitors and maintains all mechanical equipment, including ventilation systems, in order to ensure safe and efficient operations
E11. Ensures that necessary logs are maintained
12. Makes repairs to boilers and boiler room equipment, heating and ventilating systems
13. Maintains proper appearance of equipment by cleaning and painting fixtures and woodwork as required
14. Maintains all boiler rooms and mechanical rooms in a clean condition
15. Keeps power plant clean and in good order by sweeping, washing, polishing and painting; may be required to perform similar duties in other areas as time and attendant circumstances permit
16. May help assistants engaged in related tasks
17. Maintains and treats boiler waters, closed loop systems and open condenser water systems
* Possession of a current and valid First Class Steam Fireman's license issued by the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety, pursuant to Chapter 146 of the Massachusetts General Laws
* Based on assignment, possession of a Massachusetts Class 3 Motor Vehicle Operator's License
Boiler plant operator work under exposure to the hazards of the harmful effects of gases, noxious fumes, chemicals, noise, heat, inadequate ventilation, machinery in motion, etc.; work varied shifts, weekends, nights and holidays; work subject to a standby (24 hour) work status; lift and carry heavy objects; work at heights of up to 100 ft. and may work in correctional institutions.
This position is 16 hours per week on a rotating shift schedule, with fluctuating days.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check and CORI satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
EEO Statement:Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.