Senior Staff Technical Writer - Internal Engineering Knowledge
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join a small team helping to drive greater engineering effectiveness within Splunk through high-quality, organized documentation.
As an internal technical writer at Splunk, you will play a vital role in getting our product software development teams up and running quickly. The audience includes engineering teams and other internal team members at Splunk. This position also offers the rare benefit of direct communication with the teams that use your documentation to accomplish its goals.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to help shape the future of content organization within the company and solve some of the challenges with existing documentation. This includes reducing duplicate, outdated, and poorly organized content. You will also be involved with helping to provide clear guidance for content that developers create for their colleagues. You will work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate daily with internal developers, product managers, partners, and other technical writers.
This position is ideal for a writer who has written for engineers or developers. You should enjoy working on a variety of projects and quickly gaining the technical proficiency needed to contribute independently. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to deliver high-quality work and the technical background required to engage directly with software engineers and other partners. You must be collaborative, curious, and persistent with a proactive approach to delivering results. You should be comfortable working in an Agile environment and tracking your work on a regular basis.
* Author clear and accurate documentation that enables internal engineering to better onboard and use internal platforms, services, and components.
* Work closely with development and platform teams within Splunk to define documentation requirements and produce internal docs.
* Migrate content from one content management system to another.
* Discuss technical details and solve problems with engineers, technical writers, and partners, every day.
* Collaborate with others and coordinate on the delivery of shared content.
* Assist in devising and applying a content organization strategy that applies to various content silos.
* Help to curate and adhere to a style guide to create the best possible documentation for internal Splunkers.
* Respond directly to user feedback and integrate user suggestions to continuously improve your documentation.
* 8 years of experience in a technical writer role or equivalent technical experience, with 4 years of experience authoring documentation for developers.
* Ability to handle time and priorities in a dynamic development environment at a high-growth company.
* BA/BS degree in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related technical field, or relevant professional experience.
* Samples that showcase your best work.
Other relevant skills
* Familiarity with CI/CD concepts and functionality.
* Knowledge of cloud technologies, distributed systems, and clusters.
* Experience with documentation for internal developers and related roles.
* Experience with Markdown, Github, and 'Docs as Code'.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $90,000. You may also be
eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits. Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).