Highway Maintenance Worker - Aurora Traffic/Safety Maintenance
Employment Type: Part-Time
This position is only open to Colorado state residents.
Are you a Roadway or Construction Trades Worker WITH A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE, Class A or B, that allows operation in Colorado? There is a vacancy on the Graffiti Crew.
The starting salary for this position is typically $18.86 hour ($3266 per month). Upon successful completion of the probationary period, you may be eligible for an increase in salary of up to 5%.
The eligible list created from this announcement may be used to full current and future vacancies for Aurora Traffic.
Do you want to make a difference in Coloradans' lives? Do you have a passion for helping people and keeping them safe? At the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), you'll have the opportunity to do just that. The work our people do contributes to keeping Coloradans and visitors safe and provides freedom, connection, and experience through travel. Please visit our careers page to learn about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live, work and play, now and for the future!
CDOT for All
CDOT's strength is our people, and our commitment to our people is to shape, support, and sustain the employee experience, and ultimately, create a supportive workplace where everyone, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, education, disability, socioeconomic status, or any other identity, has the opportunity to thrive.
In addition to a fantastic place to work, CDOT offers a variety of benefits which include:
* Annual leave (accrued based on years of service, starting at 8 hours a month)
* Sick leave accrued at 6.66 hours a month
* 10 paid holidays per year
* Medical and dental plans with no cost preventative services
* State paid Life Insurance with optional additional life insurance
* State paid Short Term Disability coverage, with optional long term disability plan
* Participation in PERA with 2 retirement plan options, and voluntary PERA 401K and 457 plans
* Credit Union membership
* Work life programs
* State Employee Assistance programs at no cost
* Tuition and certification reimbursement program
* Access to a diverse array of technical, leadership, supervisory and specialty training across the state, in addition to personal development and productivity learning opportunities
* State employee discount programs
To learn more, visit our careers page!
Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service?
Life at CDOT during COVID-19
CDOT continues to take several measures to protect employee safety and health while ensuring continuity of operations. Facial coverings in common spaces, and social distancing when possible, are required. We will provide employees with masks, as needed. We have implemented frequent deep cleaning and disinfecting procedures in our buildings and equipment. You can rest assured that we are committed to doing our part to keep employees connected, healthy, safe, and productive during these challenging times.
#LI-POST Description of Job
Do you like to be challenged, to learn new skills and do you want to be able to handle any situation that the traveling public and the Colorado weather can put in front of you? Highway Maintenance Worker positions do more than drive big trucks!
CDOT is responsible for taking care of the state highway and roadway systems through landscape, heavy construction and operating specialized snow removal equipment. As a highway maintenance worker, you will receive training on specialized equipment such as loaders, motor graders, 2+ ton snow blowers, and using wing attachments to remove snow and maintain the roads and CDOT right-of-way.
This right-of-way is more than the asphalt you drive on - it encompasses the land on both sides of the road and any medians - so daily work can include maintaining the landscape, highways signs, culverts, delineators, road shoulders, rock slide areas, runaway truck ramps, and more.
As a highway maintenance worker, you will need to be able to think on the fly and react quickly to whatever situation you encounter. Employees may be the first on a scene and so receive CPR and first aid training.
CDOT employees have the opportunity to test and show off their equipment operating skills against fellow employees each year in a Region wide Roadeo, and the best of the best go a State Roadeo.
Work assignments are frequently performed under hazardous, high volume traffic situations including bad weather conditions. Night and shift work are required for many highway maintenance positions, including working weekend hours and holidays as needed or required. Highway maintenance workers are required to be on a rotating on-call basis, and must respond to emergencies 24 hours per day/7 days per week. There is also an opportunity for overtime pay, especially during the winter.
New employees are required to attend two weeks of maintenance training in Golden, while veteran CDOT employees are required to attend training one week out of each year in Golden. This is an opportunity to network and connect with other highway maintenance employees from across the state, while learning and perfecting new skills.
CDOT provides employees with personal protective equipment, such as uniforms, boots, hard hats, gloves, safety vest, respirator, and tools. And, after you are an employee for one year, CDOT will pay for your CDL physical and you are eligible to be reimbursed for up to 50% of the cost for renewing your CDL.
During the extended summer months (approximately May - September), highway maintenance employees typically work 10 hours a day Monday - Thursday, with a three day weekend.
So, are you up to the challenge of being one of the lucky ones at CDOT?
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Haul and spread sand, gravel, concrete, asphalt and clay to fill washouts, roadway cracks, berms, and repair road shoulders;
* Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures;
* Install and/or repair guardrails, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools;
* Perform rockfall mitigation and avalanche control, such as traffic control and snow removal from slide areas;
* Remove litter, hazardous objects and debris from roadways, such as rock, mud and/or deceased animals;
* Cut grass, dig ditches, empty litter barrels, pick up trash;
* Assist in signing and striping highways, such as maintaining pavement markings and re-installing traffic signage;
* Respond to emergencies by following prescribed procedures such as stopping or slowing traffic, operating emergency vehicles, etc.;
* Set out signs and cones for 'traffic control safe zones' around work areas to divert traffic;
* Conduct graffiti control, sand blasting, remove paint over walls, bridges and signs, use pressure washers and airless paint sprayers;
* Other duties as assigned.
Heavy Equipment Operation:
* Drive trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds;
* Minor maintenance and repair of equipment;
* Snow plow and ice removal at all hours to keep roadways clear and safe;
* Other duties as assigned.
* Exposure to loud noise
* Exposure to fumes, odors, gasses, dusts, etc. that may affect breathing, eyes and skin
* Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment as needed
* Required to work with chemicals and cleaning products
* Some equipment requires the use of respirators
* Work in close proximity to heavy traffic
* Use of ladders and scissor lifts for heights of approximately 10 - 20'
* Required to drive CDOT vehicles
* Some of the positions are NIGHTS ONLY and others are WEEKEND positions
* Frequently respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and may work overtime including weekends and holidays
* Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at varying elevations up to 12,000 feet for long periods of time
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
* Must have at least two (2) years of experience in physical labor and/or heavy equipment operation experience.
Please note: The required experience must be substantiated within the work experience section of your application. 'See Resume' statements on the application or resumes in lieu of a complete application may not be accepted. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application. In addition, part-time work will be prorated.
Conditions of Employment
* Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License Class A or B with no restriction on air brakes that allows operation within Colorado.
* If you have a non-Colorado Commercial Driver's License, you must be eligible to drive in Colorado with your CDL at time of hire. If you currently live outside of Colorado and relocate to reside in Colorado, you must transfer your CDL to Colorado within 30 days of relocation.
* Must pass a pre-employment screening which may include social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records check, educational records, and driving records checks. More information in the supplemental information section.
* May be required to pass a controlled substance test (i.e. drug test), and DOT physical through our medical provider.
* Shift work
* Essential Services Designation - Required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
* May be required to live within thirty (30) minutes' driving time in normal weather conditions to be able to respond in a timely manner after being notified to report to work. Knowledge of an emergency or hazardous condition may be considered to be a notification to report to the work station.
* New employees are required to attend two weeks of maintenance training in Golden, while veteran CDOT employees are required to attend training one week out of each year in Golden.
* May be required to obtain a Hazardous Materials endorsement within 6 months to 1 year as a condition of appointment.
* Must be willing to respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and work overtime including weekends and holidays.
* Must provide the supervisor with a telephone number where you can be reached for the purposes of responding to an emergency.
The Exceptional Applicant will be dedicated to a career in the transportation field and will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
* Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section;
* Possess and maintain in good standing a Colorado CDL Class A or B with endorsements such as hazardous materials and tanker;
* Current Medical Certificate;
* Any certifications related to the job duties listed above;
* Extensive experience safely and effectively operating several types of heavy equipment such as single axle dump truck and tandem axle dump truck, front end loaders, bulldozer, backhoe, road grader, paving equipment;
* Extensive experience effectively using several types of hand tools;
* Extensive experience performing physically demanding work assignments;
* Experience working with chemicals and/or cleaning products;
* Experience performing routine maintenance and repair of heavy equipment;
* Highest work/personal ethics and integrity;
* Strong positive and can-do attitude;
* Strong commitment to safety;
* Self-starter and motivated to accomplish assigned tasks;
* Ability to effectively communicate with CDOT staff and others, sometimes in safety situations where quick communication is essential;
* Ability to understand verbal and written instructions and information;
* Ability to quickly learn with minimal direction;
* Ability to quickly adapt to changes in work assignments and environments;
* Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
* Strong customer service skills;
* Effective interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
* Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
* Strong reasoning, analytic thinking, and problem-solving skills;
* Ability to take initiative to solve problems in an innovative manner;
* Knowledge and know-how to use computers and the ability to quickly learn new software.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
* A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the green 'APPLY' button at the top of this announcement)
* A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (The questionnaire is part of the online application. You will be prompted to answer them as you are completing your online application.)
* If you are a veteran, a copy of your DD214. Please submit this as an attachment to your online application.
Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Failure to submit properly completed documents by the closing date of this announcement may result in your application being rejected.
All correspondence regarding your status in the selection/examination process will be via email. Include your current working email address on your application and check your email frequently as you could receive time-sensitive correspondence regarding this position. We highly recommend that you set up your email to accept messages from 'state.co.us' and 'firstname.lastname@example.org' addresses. It is your responsibility to ensure that your email will accept these notices and/or review your junk mail and spam filtered email. Immediately after you submit your application you should receive an email that confirms that you successfully submitted an application for this position. If you do not, try submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure to also check your junk folder for email communications from the State of Colorado's website.
The Hiring Process:
* All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications proceed to the next step.
* Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
* Part of, or all of, the comparative analysis for this position may be a structured application review, which involves a review of the information you submit in your application materials by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) against the preferred qualifications.
* Be sure your application materials specifically address your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as they relate to the Major Duties, Minimum Qualifications, and Preferred Qualifications sections as listed above. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline for application may result in your application not being accepted for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate in any of step of the selection process and placement on the eligible list
* A top group, up to six candidates, will be invited to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.
Transfer, Non-Disciplinary Demotion, or Reinstatement
If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion, or reinstatement to this vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion, or reinstatement applicant.
If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any deferred judgments and convictions as well an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with 'Info Cubic'.
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, educational records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for this position, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board or request a review by the State Personnel Director.
An appeal or review must be submitted on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative. This form must be delivered to the State Personnel Board by email (email@example.com), postmarked in US Mail or hand delivered (1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203), or faxed (303.866.5038) within ten (10) calendar days from your receipt of notice or acknowledgement of the department's action.
For more information about the appeals process, the official appeal form, and how to deliver it to the State Personnel Board go to spb.colorado.gov; contact the State Personnel Board for assistance at 303.866.3300; or refer to 4 Colorado Code of Regulations (CCR) 801-1, State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, Chapter 8, Resolution of Appeals and Disputes, at spb.colorado.gov under Rules.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
CDOT is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries Linda Bedford at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-757-9681.
Former State Employees
Former employees of the Colorado Department of Transportation System or any other State of Colorado Department or Agency, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information on his/her application.
CDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORKFORCE.
LB (SAP #50003033 PCR 41815)