Dietetic Technician, Registered
Employment Type: Full-Time
To ensure that patients/residents are assessed accurately and to provide guidance to the Director of Food Service, Food Service Manager, staff of Food Service Department. Work under the supervision of a Registered Dietitian. In-house Dietetic Technician, Registered to be liaison to the medical and nursing staff, provides advice to the Administrator, and guidance to the Food Service Department.
* Must meet Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for Dietetic Technician, Registered.
* At least one year experience in clinical dietetics is very helpful; however, not essential. Experience in long-term care helpful.
* Must have a sincere interest in foodservice and enjoy working with geriatric and other healthcare patients.
* Must have a thorough knowledge of and be able to apply nutrition p1inciples.
* Must be able to accurately use this knowledge to assess nut1itional status and plan care for all patients.
* Must possess and use excellent customer service and communication skills.
* Must be able to read, w1ite, and speak and understand English.
* Must be in good mental and physical condition.
* Must possess leadership qualities and be able to supervise and secure the cooperation of the dietary patients.
* Must work cooperatively and productively with all pa1iners in Food Service Department and in all departments following established policies of the center.
* Must have thorough knowledge of and be able to apply food service management, safety/sanitation, food production, and nutrition principles.
* Must be willing to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Must be at work on time and during scheduled shift.
* May be required to have a Food Handlers Ce1iificate of Sanitation Course, as required by state regulations.
* May be required to be licensed and/or certified as required by specific state guidelines.
* Evaluates the nutritional status of patients by evaluating nutritional histories and intakes, establishing long-term nutritional goals and objectives for individual patients, recording findings, and attending patient care planning conferences. Completes necessary assessments and forms in the center's EHR system.
* Teaches patients, and/or families, as well as Food Service staff, therapeutic diets when requested.
* Visits patients routinely to assess and monitor nutritional status.
* Completes progress notes on each high risk patient according to standards set by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Monitors patients with tube feeding, weight loss, pressure ulcers, dialysis, brittle diabetes, and other high risk patients and makes rec01m11endations for care.
* Works with Dietitians and/or Food Service Manager to establish a system of identifying patients needing consultation.
* Reviews charting and provides guidance and rec01mnendations to the Food Service Manager.
* Observes tray line and meal service routinely to assist in identifying problem areas and provides guidance in finding solutions. Various meal times are observed for adequate overview of center systems.
* Reviews sanitation and safety of the Food Service department as needed and provides guidance to Food Service Manager.
* Assists with menu evaluation. Accepts other tasks as assigned by the Administrator or Consultant RD as needed; such as budgeting concerns, quality assessment monitors, regional pre-surveys, etc. Substitutes for the Food Service Manager if necessary as assigned by the Consultant RD.
* Completes a written consultant rep01i as needed. Discusses :findings with the Administrator, Dietary Manager, and Consultant RD, and leaves a copy of the report. Provides a plan of action for all areas found out of compliance.
* Has a thorough understand and practice of all regulations (local, state, and federal) which affect food service depa1iment including, but not limited to, patient care, sanitation, labor, fire, safety, and disaster and ensures continued compliance to these regulations.
* Evaluates trends and developments in food service practices and techniques and investigates their adaptability to the food service program.
* As an educator, plans, presents, and/or participates in training and in-service education programs for the food service depa1iment.
* Presents a professional appearance at all times. Adheres to the center's dress code.
* Assumes responsibility for his/her professional growth and development.
* Performs other tasks as necessary and appropriate.