Data Science Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us.
As a Data Science / Operations Research / Statistics / Math Intern at MITRE, you will enjoy a collaborative environment where you will work closely with others in an organization that encourages and values collaboration, mentoring, and continuous learning. You will have the opportunity to leverage and grow your hands-on software engineering expertise as you contribute to real challenges across a variety of domains.
What will you do as a MITRE Data Science / Operations Research / Statistics / Math Intern?
MITRE's Data Science / Operations Research / Statistics / Math Interns help strengthen our sponsors' effectiveness by using data analytics, statistical analysis, and modeling and simulations methods to drive analytically, defensible decisions. They apply advanced analytical and mathematical techniques to solve complex decision problems that require quantitative analysis to confidently select the best solution. Interns use high performance computing, cloud computing, big data analytics, and data visualization tools and techniques to improve system designs, to assist in making difficult policy and acquisition decisions, to maximize operational effectiveness and efficiency, and to achieve the highest quality engineering solutions.
What are some examples of projects Data Science / Operations Research / Statistics / Math Interns have done?
* Applied state of the art data analytics and machine learning techniques to help solve challenging real-world problems in health care, transportation, and financial fraud
* Compiled documentation and data for real world missile events and performed analysis on the effectiveness of reporting systems
* Interpreted and created visualizations of large data sets using Tableau
* Developed a genetic algorithm to compute the parameters of an analytical performance model most consistent with many simulation experiments
* Supported performance simulations of a large, distributed database. Utilized transfer learning for multi-document summarization to simplify knowledge aggregation
* Assisted in testing and developing a toolkit for neural topic modeling and variational autoencoders
* Created interactive visualizations of gene expression data for clinician use
* Used the Starcraft II (SCII) video game environment to evaluate modern deep reinforcement learning (RL) algorithms with the goal of developing DoD specific scenarios in the SCII editor that will require multi-agent cooperation
What knowledge, skills and attributes do we look for in students hired for our Data Analytics / Operations Research / Statistics / Math Intern positions?
* Pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Statistics, Operations Research, Math or related. In some cases, high school students may also be considered
* Demonstrated understanding of how to retrieve data from databases and other systems and tools using queries, exporting capabilities, and other effective methods
* Understanding of or experience with statistical software and data visualization tools such as R, SPSS, SAS, and UNIX shell scripting
* Proficiency in one or more of the following: Python (scikit-learn, numpy, pandas, Jupyter), , Scala/Java, C/C++/C#, Objective C; Database design & development(SQL, Neo4J, MongoDB); AWS
* On-going excellence in academic performance
* High level desire to help their nation solve its most critical problems
* Exhibits the characteristics of a continuous learner
* Many of our jobs welcome those students who have an interdisciplinary approach to problem solving
Additional Department Information:
In the Intelligence Analysis Innovation Department, we design, develop, and operationalize next generation integrated intelligence systems on behalf of a variety of IC and DoD customers. We partner with MITRE Labs to extend and transition MITRE Research to the Federal Government in support of future concepts address addressing current mission needs.
As part of the Intelligence Analysis Innovation department, you'll play a key role in helping government sponsors solve their most difficult problems by applying Computer Science and Software Engineering techniques and methodologies to prototype mission critical systems and capabilities. Our group is continually retraining and retooling staff to meet the fast-paced demands of rapid prototyping.
* Pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
* Some experience using Python, Scala, Java, or other programming language
* Ability to work well in a team environment
* A positive attitude and a passion for achieving the customer's vision
* Willingness and ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility and polygraph
* Experience with ETL work in pulling data from various source systems, manipulating data, converting between various formats, and hosting in a new data environment
* Innovating on new data processing techniques, to include Data Science techniques
* Comfortable on the Linux command line
* Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
* Experience with source code management tools (GitHub, GitLab, Bamboo, etc.)
* Experience with working with data and orchestration pipelines such as NiFi, Airflow, or Dagster
* Experience working on Amazon Web Services or other cloud platform
* Experience with Test Driven Development and CI/CD
* Eager for continuous learning and improvement
* Demonstrated software development creativity through extending work activities, hobbies or interests
* We are seeking Interns candidates at many MITRE locations. Remote opportunities may also available. We are committed to trying to find the best location for you!
* Clearance: Hiring requisitions for some roles may require a U.S. Government Security clearance.
* Salary: The salary below is the starting range for incoming freshman. Intern salaries are based on how much of their degree program a student has completed as well as some other factors.
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s):
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s):
Salary compensation range and midpoint:
$28,900 - $33,300 - $38,300 Annual
MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to those with a medical condition, disability or a sincerely held religious belief that prevents them from receiving a vaccine so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Poster-Supplement and Pay Transparency.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE's employment process, please contact MITRE's Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at email@example.com.
Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here