Scientist I, Chemistry
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
Thermo Fisher Scientific - NDX (Legacy Microgenics) 46500 Kato Road, Fremont, CA
Part of Clinical Diagnostics Division of Specialty Diagnostics Group
How will you make an impact?
Using standard operating procedures (SOP) and current good manufacturing practices (cGMP), the Scientist I manufactures products and completes associated documentation. Works with chemicals and biologicals to manufacture or qualify material for IVD use. Participates in process improvement projects.
What will you do?
* Produces antibodies using mice and in-vitro equipment.
* Purifies antibodies of varying batch sizes.
* Performs analytical and functional testing of antibodies.
* Weigh, transfer, and mix required chemicals.
* Reviews in-process and completed batch records.
* Maintains and analyzes lot histories for trends and discrepancies.
* Maintains, troubleshoots, and validates equipment as appropriate.
* May participate in process improvement projects such as updating processes and/or equipment to improve efficiencies and support business needs.
* May write, review or modify SOPs, work instructions and reports with guidance.
* Keeps department manager updated on all issues.
* Performs other job duties as required.
How will you get here?
* BA or BS degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or equivalent required
* 1 year of laboratory experience. Experience can be derived from internships or positions held post-graduation.
* Hands on experience with sterile techniques, cell culture, HPLC or bioprocess equipment desired
* Laboratory skills and knowledge of safety precautions is a plus
* Experience in working with potentially hazardous chemicals and human source materials is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Must have excellent math and working knowledge of the metric system (weights & volumes).
* Intermediate word processing and spreadsheet software skills with excellent oral and written communication skills. Good interpersonal skills.
* Individual must work well in a team environment and be adaptable to changes in priorities.
* Self-motivated, independent and strong critical thinking.
* Must be organized and detail oriented to be able to prioritize own and other's work and meet business productivity metrics.
* Familiarity with Quality System Regulations: cGMP/GDP, ISO and IVD regulations is a plus.
* Manual dexterity. Must be able to lift 25 lbs routinely. May be required to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.