RN Charge Nurse
Employment Type: Full-Time
Do you have a passion for working with under-served populations? Do you thrive working in high-stress situations? Are you ready to focus on patient care and not JCAHO scores? The Travis County Sheriff's Office offers an opportunity for you to work in an environment that offers safety and exposure to a wide range of patient problems, diagnoses, and treatment management. We offer a Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off, Personal Holidays, Sick Time, free Employee Health Clinic, Tuition Reimbursement, and much more This position evaluates the health care needs and requirements of patients to develop plans of care to meet those needs. Coordinates the medical treatment and provides nursing care for patients. Provides clinical/administrative supervision for nursing staff and collaboration with other health care/non-healthcare staff on duty!
This is the fifth in a series of five nursing-related job classifications within the Medical job family. This classification practices under the guidelines of the Texas Nurse Practice Act in collaboration with physicians and other staff. Incumbents perform administrative and nursing duties of advanced complexity that require a high degree of initiative and independent judgment. This classification is distinguished from the Registered Nurse II in that the incumbent plans, performs, and evaluates nursing/patient care functions, and provides clinical and administrative supervision to other on-site nursing staff. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Assigns nursing schedules, duties and responsibilities to Certified Nursing Assistants, Licensed Vocational Nurses and Registered Nurses. Oversees clinic scheduling. Conducts annual evaluations for subordinate nursing personnel.
* Assesses, prioritizes and responds to all categories of patient emergent medical needs. Assigns nursing staff on duty to provide treatment accordingly.
* Provides clinical supervision to nursing staff on duty.
* Reviews treatment programs and assesses overall effectiveness.
* Consults with clinical and administrative staff about patient health care issues.
* Provides direct health care to patients, including wound care, medication administration, monitoring of vital signs and laboratory procedures. Documents patient's condition.
* Coordinates with other medical staff about all aspects of patient health care.
* Reviews medical records to ensure continuity of care.
* Practices and trains healthcare staff in safety, environmental and/or infection control methods.
* Provides health care instruction and counseling to residents.
* Answers medical questions from staff, patient's relatives and others as appropriate.
* May process patients into the facility by screening and evaluating their medical and mental histories.
* May assist patients with activities of daily living, including bathing and feeding.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited Registered Nursing program AND two (2) years of Registered Nursing experience, including one (1) year of lead or supervisory experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas.
Current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Supervisory principles, practices, and techniques.
* Standard nursing and other healthcare practices.
* Policies, practices, procedures, and terminology related to nursing and healthcare.
* Federal, State, Local and County nursing and other healthcare laws and requirements.
* Diagnosis and treatment of a variety of diseases and injuries.
* Proper dosages and expected results of medication.
* Proper infection control techniques.
* Principles and procedures of medical documentation and record-keeping.
* Knowledge of and adherence to HIPAA and other federal and state laws requiring the confidential handling of certain health information.
* Administering daily patient care, including using a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, thermometer, and other medical instruments.
* Scheduling health care staffing in a high-volume setting.
* Administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid.
* Performing medical tests and recording results accurately.
* Prioritizing patient needs.
* Problem-solving and decision-making.
* Both verbal and written communication.
* Plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinates.
* Work efficiently both independently and as part of a medical team.
* Recognize and identify health symptoms.
* Exercise sound judgment and react quickly in emergency situations.
* Manage time well and perform multiple tasks.
* Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
* Work effectively and courteously under high-pressure circumstances.
* Work in a secure environment.
* Deal effectively with mentally disturbed, hostile and aggressive individuals.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical and other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-100 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination, and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter, and foul odors.
Travis County employees play an important role in business continuity. As such, employees can be assigned to business continuity efforts outside of normal job functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities, and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: Shift Work required.
* $4.40/HR SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL FOR B&C SHIFT ASSIGNMENTS. SHIFT ASSIGNMENT WILL DEPEND ON AVAILABILITY AT TIME OF HIRE.*
Works some holidays, nights, and weekends
Location:3614 Bill Price Rd., Del Valley and/or 509 W. 11th St., Austin
Drug and Alcohol Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education, and Employment Background Check Required.