Instructor- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
Employment Type: Full-Time
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Instructor- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Division of GI and Hepatology at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine has a 1.0 FTE faculty position available at the rank of Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA). Under the direction of the full-time faculty or designee, this position provides outpatient medical care services at the University of Colorado Hospital for the Gastroenterology Division. Primary functions of the position include conducting patient visits under the supervision of attending physicians, coordinating, triaging, and organizing patient flow, patient follow up contact and test result review. It is anticipated that job duties will take a minimum of 40 hours per week including a minimum of 32 hours of direct patient contact (clinic visits with outpatients and new and return visits with inpatients) that will take place each week.
IMPORTANT: this position will be at the Cherry Creek Medical Center location!
Clinical duties include:
* Independently performing age appropriate history and physical examinations for complex acute, critical and chronically ill patients
* Accurate and efficient documentation in EPIC system
* Advisement of patient scheduling based on concern of disease
* Ensuring all specialty providers are staffed in clinic each week
* Reviewing medical records to determine if appropriate for clinic
* Requesting outside diagnostic tests and pathology/cytology as needed
* Generating weekly lists of patients to be discussed at multidisciplinary conferences
* Ordering and interpretation of labs or diagnostic tests needed prior to multidisciplinary review
* Prescribing medications as needed, including pre-procedure medications.
* Conducting peer to peer review or writing medical necessity letters with insurance companies for pre-authorization of tests as appropriate
* Speaking with referring physicians regarding patient referrals
* Sending new patient letters to referring physicians using EPIC system
* Independently seeing patients in follow up as needed
* Collaboration with team members after conference to finalize patient plans and assisting with ordering tests and referrals as needed
* Contacting referring physicians/PCP for any other medical issues that may have been discovered or referring patient to appropriate specialty/provider as needed
* Facilitating staff, patient and family decision making by providing educational tools
* Providing patients with hospital resources as needed
* Tracking patient outcomes/data
* Compliance with hospital protocols/standards.
* Attending departmental meetings on a regular basis
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Typical Physical Demands: The NP/PA position requires the ability to engage in a full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination. The position may also require standing and walking for extended periods of time as required during the provision of services. The position requires normal visual acuity and hearing. The NP/PA may also be exposed to communicable diseases and bodily fluids and it is expected that the candidate will be appropriately knowledgeable regarding universal safety precautions.
Typical Working Conditions: This is a clinic based practice. There may be exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to the clinical environment.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $100,000 - $110,000
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
* DNP preferred/MSN required from an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
* Current Advanced Practice Registered Nurse licensure by a national professional organization.
* Current Registered Nurse licensure in the state of Colorado
* Admission to the Advanced Practice Registry of the Colorado Board of Nursing
* Prescriptive authority required
* Two (2) years clinical experience in practice as a NP
* Current ACLS certification
* Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program
* Current Physician Assistant licensure in the State of Colorado
* Prescriptive authority
* Two (2) or more years of experience in practice as a PA
* Current ACLS certification
* Three (3) or more years of experience working in Gastroenterology
* Three (3) or more years of inpatient experience
* Three (3) or more years of outpatient experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge of the professional medical practice to give and evaluate patient care in the gastroenterology clinic.
* Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
* Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
* Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
* Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of medicine to provide on-going patient care.
* Skill in taking medical history, assessing medical condition and interpreting findings.
* Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
* Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance.
* Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients and their family members, medical staff, residents, fellows, medical students, and the public.
* Ability to maintain quality control standards.
* Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
* Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
* Ability to communicate clearly as an integral member of a team.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.