Employment Type: Full-Time
Provides work leadership, guidance and training to Security Officers and Cougar Patrol during scheduled shift. Monitors activities to ensure actions are in accordance with procedures and applicable laws. Performs Police Officer patrol tasks as needed.
* Enforces all laws, including but not limited to, penal and traffic laws.
* Performs all Police Officer patrol duties as needed.
* Monitors and assigns duties of personnel during scheduled shift.
* Provides guidance to new officers and interpretation of departmental policies and procedures.
* Maintains a pleasant and professional demeanor as a public representative of the department and the university.
* Provides training to new and veteran Police Officers, Security Officers and Cougar Patrol in accordance with department guidelines.
* Coordinates special projects, such as crime prevention presentations and other community events.
* Reviews time sheets, offense reports and performs administrative tasks as delegated by the Lieutenant.
* Serves as supervisor in the absence of the Police Sergeant.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
EEO/AA 18 months and 1 year experience.
Requires specialized training in basic trades, principles, procedures, practice, routines or techniques in a specific area or trade which might normally be acquired through up to 18 months of education or training beyond the high school level. Vocational competence in the operation of mechanical or electronic equipment may be required.
Requires a minimum of one (1) year of directly job-related experience.
Requires technical certification or licensing directly related to the job, as specified on a job description addendum.
Additional Information/Preferred Qualifications:
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply and will receive preference in employment over other applicants for the same position who do not have greater qualification.
The ideal candidate will possess:
* One year of progressively responsible experience in law enforcement and public safety
* Considerable knowledge of State and Federal laws
* Exceptional leadership and management skills
* The ability to work effectively in complex, decentralized organization
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* A proven ability to initiate and maintain productive relationship with internal and external constituencies
This position requires the applicant to pass several phases: i.e.:
* Multiple types of review
* Tests (oral and written)
* Background check clearance
Applicants that do not pass the testing phase, may re-apply after three months, if there is an open position.
A valid, active TCOLE (formerly TCLEOSE) license with up-to-date annual TCOLE training.
Must be at least 21 years of age.
Must have a valid Texas Driver's License before receiving job offer.
Must pass a Criminal History and valid Driver's License check prior to an interview.
Must be able to work nights, weekends and overtime assignments.
Must pass Background Investigation and complete the DPS FBI Fingerprints prior to employment.
Must pass a pre-employment drug screening, physical and psychological exams.
UHPD requires all applicants to complete the criminal history fields on their application.
Applicants with incomplete criminal history fields may not be considered for a position.
Required information includes, but may not be limited to:
* Driver's license
* Last 4 digits of SSN
Additional Posting Information
Ability to work in a dynamic environment.
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply and will receive preference in employment over other applicants for the same position who do not have a greater qualification.
The ideal candidate will possess:
Considerable knowledge of State and Federal laws.
Exceptional leadership and management skills.
The ability to work effectively in complex, decentralized organization. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
A proven ability to initiate and maintain productive relationships with internal and
Responsibilities may include management and direct supervision of Security Officer Personnel assigned to various campuses within the UH System.
This position requires the applicant to pass several phases of reviews and tests such as a written exam, an oral review, a thorough background check, etc. Applicants that do not pass any phase may re-apply after three months.
Additional Monetary Benefits:
* Special Event Overtime pay,
* Uniforms & Equipment provided,
* Designated Paid Holidays,
* Education Incentive after completing a 12-month probationary period,
* Longevity Pay and Retirement benefits,
* Tuition benefits up to 3 hours/week based on eligibility,
* $10 monthly Hazardous duty pay for each 12-month period of lifetime service credit.
The selected candidate must have and/or obtain a Texas Driver's License prior to job offer.
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. While performing this job the staff member shall:
The employee maybe exposed to inclement weather conditions; extensive public contact with student, faculty and staff.
Employees are required to work various assigned shifts, including days,
evenings, nights and weekends and may be required to remain at their post for an additional shift. All staff are 'essential personnel' and are required to report to work during inclement weather.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in a law enforcement
setting and an office setting; restrain or subdue individuals; walk, stand, sit, or run for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; occasionally climb and balance; ability to operate and use specialized law enforcement tools and equipment.
* Cover Letter
* DD-214, if applicable
* TCOLE Personal Status Report
* Misc. Documents
This position is an essential position for Department of Public Safety and the UH Police Department. Essential position you will be required to perform the work needed if directed by management even when the office or school is closed and may be required to report to work.