AVP, Lean Management
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Posting End Date: July 30
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses - Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life - are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This role will serve as both a leadership role, overseeing the Lean Center of Excellence, and a technical business design subject matter expert. . This role will provide strategic leadership and transformation services that align with and supports Unum's business. It will work in close collaboration with internal business operations, technology teams and 3rd parties to transform the business and operating models. The role will also be responsible for business solution research, evaluation, influencing and deploying our operating management system across the enterprise with support from its team of lean coaches and continuous improvement consultants.
This position requires fluency in process analysis, technology platforms, capability decomposition, staffing models and application of lean/design thinking/agile principles. Applying prowess of the external market, the role will influence key stakeholder/leadership buy-in to strategic roadmaps for operating model changes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
* Lead a team of Lean Coaches that develop, drive and deliver on complex cross functional, transformational projects across the enterprise.
* Research, evaluate, influence, and implement new business design solutions to improve operational effectiveness and customer satisfaction.
* Establish strong partnerships with key business area leaders, including at times senior leaders, and subject matter experts to identify specific business opportunities and help build effective solutions.
* Understand how emerging technologies can fundamentally disrupt business / operations and use this knowledge to have strategic input on operating model changes.
* Harness the nimbleness and frugality of a startup inside of a large corporate environment
* Develop and execute the strategy & roadmap for future operational models and evangelize vision with key business stakeholders and executive leadership
* Lead, directly or through team, the implementation of complex cross-disciplinary solutions, including business / operating models, that impact customer experience, operational efficiencies & effectiveness and quality
* In support of the management team, takes bold action to ensure a strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline is in place to meet aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
* Influence actions and outcomes even without direct reporting control across people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the operations.
* Develop and maintain an in depth understanding of Unum's business operations, acts as a champion for disruptive changes and builds strong and effective partnership with business leaders
* Maintain in depth knowledge of the external environment and drive increased knowledge and skills throughout the organization through education of emerging technologies and operating model strategies.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Multi-disciplinary, Leadership + Operations Experience + Lean Six Sigma
* Master's degree or a bachelor's degree plus relevant professional experience
* Proven experience leading teams in a transformation field preferred, or equivalent relevant work experience.
* Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful.
* Strong business, operations and financial acumen along with a strong understanding of Lean, Agile & Design thinking techniques
* Demonstrable experience taking an idea from theory and analysis into a market launch and subsequent scaled operations (including mastery of a broad range of service model/strategy/transformational/process improvement tools and approaches - e.g. Design Thinking, Six Sigma).
* Experience in designing business models, decomposing into capabilities (business and technology), carrying out market research, and performing financial modeling, nice to have
* Strong ability to communicate complex, technical information in easily understood manner.
* Strong ability to combine an understanding of business capabilities, business processes and technology solutioning expertise.
* Extensive experience managing large, broad cross functional projects.
* Creative thinker and operates with an entrepreneurial mindset
* Strong data-backed problem solver - Apply 'first principles' thinking around solutions
* Able to see the big picture, coupled with strong storytelling and communication skills (verbal and written presentation) to evangelize their vision at all levels
* Knowledge of current and emerging technologies a plus
* Quick and continuous learner, high tolerance to ambiguity, Self-driven, professional who can push through organizational barriers
* Inherent bias for action and understand the need for speed and urgency
* Ability to take individual ownership to support the collective and make others successful
* Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with peers and business partners across the corporation.
* Proven ability to work collaboratively - actively seek and consider ideas from others as well as through keen observation.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best - both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.