Medical Assistant II- Neuro-Science Institute
*Sign-on Bonus Eligible*
Medical Assistant will assist physicians with various aspects of patient care (including clerical, environmental, and organizational tasks) ensuring patient satisfaction. In addition to core Medical Assistant responsibilities, serves as lead person for team regarding day-to-day workflow issues or office procedures. Shift hours are as Follow: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 8 a.m.to 4:45 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday.
- Work directly with Manager to identify opportunities for improvement with regards to Clinical/Non-Clinical functions, Infection Control Procedures, and Patient Assessments
- Must be responsible and demonstrate proficiency in all practice category specific tasks
- Obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.
- Complete forms/requisitions as needed.
- Schedule appointments.
- Verify insurance coverage and patient demographics.
- Perform phlebotomy, EKG's, and level one labs.
- Perform clinic procedures according to policy and procedure.
- Assist physicians with procedures.
- Document patient information into the medical record.
- Guide routine meetings with staff to communicate procedural changes to improve service quality and patient safety
- Guides workflow and/or assigns tasks to other clinical staff.
- Serve as the department super user for Epic Care.
- Answering calls, and providing pertinent information including patient education as directed.
- Assist management staff with supervisory activities.
- Participates with creation and implementation of departmental goals, processes and procedures.
- Mentors, orients and provides ongoing training to current and new staff members.
- Check schedules and organizing patient flow. Accompany patients to exam/procedure room.
- Assist patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.
- Collect patient information/history; taking vitals, performing screenings per provider guidelines.
- Relay instructions to patients/families.
- May provide more individualized patient/family education and supportive counseling as needed.
- Send/receive patient medical records in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other state and federal regulations.
- Comply with requirements of appropriate regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, CLIA, PA Department of Health).
- Maintain strict confidentiality related to medical records and other data. Comply with all UPMC Health System policies and procedures.
- Prepare and managing charts to ensure information completed and filed appropriately.
- Other front office responsibilities, as required.
- Prepare patient rooms, set up instruments and equipment according to department protocol.
- Clean exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control.
- Clean according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records.
- Manage inventory of supplies; restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Successful completion of Medical Assistant Program or equivalent hospital program (LPN/RN/EMT) OR successful completion of certification examination (AMT, AAMA, NAHP, NCCT, or NHA) OR at least 2 years of experience as a Medical Assistant required.
- Must have basic computer skills and knowledge of medical terminology, examination, diagnostic and treatment room responsibilities.
Applicants will be placed in the appropriate job title and salary from the Medical Assistant Career Ladder, based on their individual experience and education.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran