Staff Nurse - Neuro Services - UPMC Altoona
UPMC Altoona is looking for highly motivated Registered Nurses to join our teams within Neuro Services! Our Neuro Service teams provide opportunity to support medically complex patients! These teams are great for a graduate nurse who is getting ready to launch their career or an experienced nurse looking for a new, exciting opportunity! Our departments thrive off of working together as a team and have a great work culture.
Our Neuro Service Units have the shift and employment status for YOU! We have Casual opportunities, Part-Time which provides you access to UPMC’s benefits, Flex Full-Time if looking for full-time benefits but a varying schedule, and Regular Full-Time!
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
Casual pay rate: $30.00/hour
*Must have one year of RN experience for Casual opportunities*
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details.
As a nurse at UPMC, you will find:
- Competitive wages with a BSN differential
- An incomparable benefits package, including tuition reimbursement
- Top clinicians, leading researchers, and the most modern equipment and technology in health care today
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you’re a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
- $15,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
- $10,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $7,500 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $5,000 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Provides leadership for the nursing team and contributes to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.
- Implementation: a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards. b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy. c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery. f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy. g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
- Assessment: a. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form. b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Planning: a. Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care. b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately. c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences. d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient. e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Evaluation: a. Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient. b. Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals. c. Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
- Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
Education and Formal Training Required:
- Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
- must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period.
- Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
- None, RN acute care or Telemetry experience preferred.
- Must maintain eight stroke competencies per year.
- ACLS preferred, BLS required.
- Current proficiency preferred in skilled initiation and maintenance of IV Therapy in all age levels.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran