Employment Type: Full-Time
The Laboratory Technician, has been trained and signed off to perform procedures required of the technicians shift in the Blood Services Department, which may include procedures from the following areas; Basic Components, Sample Management/Labeling, Quarantine, Data Processing and Quality Control. The duties are performed in accordance with FDA, AABB, and State of California requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Basic Component Laboratory Duties:
* Accessions and processes specific components in accordance with regulatory agencies' requirements and standards.
* Ensures throughout all stages of preparation and processing that unacceptable components are segregated, quarantined and disposed of appropriately.
* Performs equipment cleaning and maintenance on the equipment in the Laboratory.
* Performs proper sample collection from specific blood components for Quality Control purposes.
* Assists in ordering and stocking of supplies.
* Recognizes and reports problems and deviations to laboratory supervisors and other responsible management designees.
* Prepares cryoprecipitate and pooled cryoprecipitate units for quality control purposes.
* Performs selection of units for shipment to fractionators.
* Performs other duties as assigned in support of Laboratory budgetary and other organizational goals.
Quality Control Laboratory Duties:
* Performs equipment cleaning and maintenance on the laboratory equipment in the Quality Control Laboratory.
* Performs product testing using hematology analyzers on apheresis and whole blood products for quality control purposes.
* Performs inoculation of blood culture bottles for bacterial detection.
* Performs data entry of components information into the laboratory information system.
* Maintains inventory of supplies.
* Recognizes and reports problems and deviations to the laboratory supervisor and other responsible management staff.
* Performs other duties as assigned in support of budgetary and other organizational goals.
Sample Management/Labeling Duties:
* Processes, and packs specimens for shipment to outside testing laboratories.
* Retains retention samples from donor units and donor test samples.
* Evaluates donor sample tubes to ensure the donor samples meet criteria (volume, color, and labeling).
* Accurately completes and files donor test sample requisitions, shipping forms, and sample tube collection logs.
* Reviews donor history cards for completeness and accurately enters donor and corresponding unit identification into the computer.
* Ensures accurate uploading of test results from the validated CTS testing to the validated LifeStream computer system.
Quarantine Duties in the Component Laboratory:
* Locates and quarantines unsafe blood components.
* Discards unsafe and unacceptable components.
* Investigates and prepares paperwork for release of safe components and labels released components.
* Maintains complete, accurate, and legible records (both electronic and manual) of all activities.
* Immediately reports any problems in quarantine system or inability to locate a component to laboratory supervisor and other responsible management staff.
* Conveys possible errors, omissions, and/or discrepancies to the attention of the appropriate supervisor or designee for further review and action.
* Follows instructions from Collections Final Review (CFR), Medical Surveillance, Quality Assurance, and Medical
* Director on appropriate disposition of unacceptable units.
* Determines, locates, and disposes of expired components and resolves discrepancies.
* Performs other duties as assigned in support of budgetary and other organizational goals.
* Performs all daily data entry including, but not limited to donor deferrals, computer re-entry of permanent deferrals, follow-up donor deferrals, verification of sign-in sheets and follow-up of potential duplicate donors.
* Evaluates all possible duplicate donors, make donor calls to determine if it's a true match and merge donor in Safetrace system, as necessary.
* Researches and obtains documentation necessary for follow-up of donor deferrals.
* Performs notification of apheresis duplicate donors to Vista group.
* Enters statistical data using Microsoft Word or other spreadsheet software.
* Communicates information related to the donor's donation history or donor donation count to internal and external customers.
* Assists in the preparation, execution, and distribution of monitoring and auditing reports.
* Runs and reviews Donor ID to Safetrace Report. Performs follow-up tasks on errors listed on the report.
* Reviews all donor photos from Photo Capture to determine acceptability. Edits photos, as necessary, and submits them for donor identification card printing.
* Resolves any donor photo ID card processing issues.
* Runs daily reports to determine whether upload was completed appropriately and performs follow-up activities.
* Reviews paperwork completed by other staff members within the department.
* Assists in the completion of donor blood type discrepancy investigation.
* Prints Donor Identification Change Report and reviews for appropriate changes.
* Runs Donation Type Double Credit Report daily and updates Safetrace for all donation types qualified to receive double credit.
* Performs update of the Life to Date Donation Totals in computer system.
* Assists in the training of Data Processing procedures.
* Assists in Quality related activities and research for special projects.
Must deal with internal customers/team members in a courteous, professional, and timely manner. Takes responsibility for problems and maintains a helpful and friendly attitude. Must treat everyone with respect.
Work mostly includes various duties involving different and unrelated processes and methods. Decisions on what needs to be done frequently require analysis of the subject in each assignment, and chosen course of action may be selected from several alternatives. Work involves conditions and elements that must be analyzed to identify interrelationships. Work may often include varied duties requiring many different and unrelated processes and methods such as those relating to
aspects of administrative or professional fields. Decisions by the employee as to what needs to be done include assessment of unusual circumstances, variations in approach, and incomplete or conflicting data.
NATURE AND EXTENT OF SUPERVISION PROVIDED TO THE POSITION:
The supervisor makes assignments by defining objectives, priorities and deadlines, assisting the employee with unusual situations with no clear precedents. Employee plans and executes steps to complete the assignment, following instructions, policies and previous training or accepted practices. Completed work is evaluated for soundness, appropriateness and conformity to policy. Methods used by the employee are not reviewed in detail. Occasionally, the supervisor sets overall objectives and resources available, with deadlines and work plans developed in consultation with the employee, with some opportunity for the employee to interpret policy, or determine approaches and methodology for accomplishing assignments.
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty (as identified above) must be performed satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
* Basic Knowledge of required regulations , State of California Regulations,
* Basic Knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
* Basic knowledge of AABB Standards.
* Ability to communicate complex issues verbally with clarity and conciseness.
* Knowledge and ability to perform tests and interpret the results for acceptability.
* Knowledge of basic Physical Science principles.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor and patient information and test results.
* Capable of differentiating unacceptable products based on varied colors.
* Ability to analyze data, recognize aberrant results, and take appropriate action based on data.
* Ability to multi-task and work on different processing stages simultaneously.
* Ability to operate a computer and other lab machinery.
* Knowledge of sterile technique.
* Ability to understand and adhere to internal standard operating procedures.
* Ability to maintain accurate, legible, and complete records.
* Ability to prioritize.
* Ability to evaluate situation and processes objectively.
* Good communication skills including the transfer of thoughts, ideas, and concepts into writing.
* Ability to problem solve efficiently.
* Ability to make good judgment.
* Good organization skills.
* Integrity to admit error (or possible error), which could result in the release of an unsafe product.
* Ability to follow all safety procedures.
* Ability to accurately and concurrently complete all necessary documentation.
High School diploma or GED. Bachelor's Degree (BS) in a Science degree is desirable.
Laboratory Technician: None.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, ETC.
Refer to ADA checklist attached for physical demands.
Laboratory and medical environments with high risks.
LifeStream is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. LifeStream participates in the federal governments E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility.
The employer will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Vets
Our organization is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to Accomodations@Lstream.org or call 909-386-6875 to let us know the nature of your request. A representative will respond to accommodation requests within two business days. Please note that this email/phone number is for medical/disability accommodations only and any other inquiries will not receive a response.
EEO is the Law. For more EEO information about applicant rights click here.
Our organization participates in E-Verify, for more information click here.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test in accordance with LifeStream's established guidelines.