Solution Engineering Manager - Tanzu
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior Manager, Solutions Engineering - Southeast Enterprise
In Swahili, 'tanzu' means the growing branch of a tree. In Japanese, 'tansu' refers to a modular form of cabinetry. At VMware, Tanzu represents our growing portfolio of solutions to help you build, run, and manage modern apps. We help customers develop cloud-native apps and maintain existing apps side-by-side, on the same enterprise-grade platform.
The Solutions Engineering team provides critical pre-sales support for our selling activity to our enterprise customers in the Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and southern Virginia. Our Solution Engineering teams help prospective clients understand how to better build, run, and manage software using VMware's Tanzu portfolio. As a first-line manager of the Southeast Solutions Engineering team, you will manage and grow a customer-focused team of technical specialists. You will work with regional sales and presales management to steer and strengthen your team's processes and account strategies to help achieve revenue targets for new business, services and renewals. You will guide and support your team through potentially long and complex sales cycles as well as engage/manage prospects and customers when and where needed. Given the rapid evolution of both VMware and the modern applications landscape, proactive and continuous learning and networking skills are critical to success in this role. VMware values inclusivity, diversity, collaboration, and technical excellence. As we strive to help our customers build and run software in a better way, leveraging modern techniques and innovative technologies, you can find countless opportunities to nurture your talent, continually learn, and make a difference within exciting sales cycles focused on solving complex business and technology challenges.
VMware has a unique opportunity to help some of the biggest brands in major industries build, run, and manage software better. We are seeing a huge increase in demand from clients who are transforming their software delivery capability and building cloud-native applications to drive customer engagement
* Manage a team of 4-10 Solution Engineers
* Qualify and prioritize team activities
* Define and monitor progress on development plans for Solutions Engineers
* Drive the hiring and career development process for the Solutions Engineering team
* Partner with the regional sales manager to set technical account strategy for all Tanzu opportunities in the Region
* Establish and continue deep technical awareness around the Tanzu product line and the surrounding ecosystem
* Manage from the front by directly engaging the client-facing activities.
* Present VMware and Tanzu value proposition, customer stories, and represent the company as a senior technical manager
* Instill process excellence in all facets of the business including account logs and POC processes
* Engage with VMware's engineering teams to help develop solution patterns based on customer engagements and your personal experience that will guide product adoption.
* Build deep relationships with customers and serve as their advocate within VMware
Required Skills / Experiences
* Demonstrated experience managing and/or mentoring pre-sales/solutions engineers
* 5-10 years of experience in one of the following areas: Cloud, Application Development, IT Operations (Linux Systems Administration, SRE, DevOps, etc), Middleware Administrator or Kubernetes space(s)
* Must have effective communication, active listening, and presentation skills as well as Customer Focus and a strong desire to work in the field
* Detail-oriented, process-focused, and driven for rapid completion of tasks
* Passion for mentoring and developing other team members
* Strong networking skills both internally with the sales and product teams as well as externally with clients and the community
* Ability and strong desire to learn new skills and technologies, a strong self-learner
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a STEM major
* Must be willing to travel up to 50% within the continental US and Canada
Desired Skills / Experiences
* 3+ years of experience managing a high performing pre-sales/solution engineering team
* Kubernetes is highly desired. CKAD / CKA certification a big plus but not a requirement for the role
* 2+ years of experience or certification in AWS, Azure, vSphere, or Google Cloud Platform or Software Development (programming) experience in Java, C#, GO, Scala, Node.JS, Ruby, Groovy, and/or Python (not just scripting)
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.