Senior Computer Systems Administrator
Employment Type: Full-Time
Do you want to be part of a team that wins Nobel Prizes? Would you like to work alongside dedicated and passionate professionals? Are you an IT professional who enjoys development and implementation of IT strategies? If you said yes, we want to hear from you!
As the Senior Computer Systems Administrator, you will be responsible for supporting the design, deployment, maintenance and end user support for the Observatory's Computer Systems and Network environments and will provide a senior technical support role in the development and implementation of IT strategies and plans.
The W. M. Keck Observatory (WMKO) operates two 10-meter optical/infrared telescopes and an associated suite of advanced instrumentation. These telescopes have been extremely productive scientifically and have allowed the WMKO science community to play a leading role in understanding the universe from our solar system, to exoplanets, black holes, the earliest galaxies, and dark matter and energy.
* Implement, manage, and support the physical and virtual servers, desktops, and applications.
* Administer and support of network equipment including firewalls, routers, switches, WAPs, and SANs.
* Monitor and evaluate network performance, systems operations, and storage utilization to provide recommendations for system growth and improvements.
* Manage web and database servers and monitors performance.
* Monitor security products such as hardware and software firewalls, antivirus software/scanners, and malware/spyware tools.
* Manage backup systems to support recovery and continuity of operations.
* Provide network and computer support to staff and visitors.
What you bring
* Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience.
* Eight (8) years of experience with server configuration and administration.
* Six (6) years of experience supporting and maintaining server hardware.
* Experience evaluating and implementing new technology solutions.
* Experience designing, deploying, securing and optimizing network infrastructure
All qualified applicants, including women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for all open positions at the W. M. Keck Observatory.
Apply to join a skilled and deeply committed team of professionals who enable exciting and important astronomical discoveries. Submit a cover letter and resume, tell us how your background and passion relate to the position. For more information, go to https://keckobservatory.applicantpro.com/jobs/
Read about us, our science and our mission, go to: www.keckobservatory.org. To see a video about Keck go to: https://vimeo.com/90063671
Keck Observatory offers a robust rewards package which includes a competitive salary; a broad benefits bundle including a 403(b) plan; a highly regarded tuition assistance program for dependent children (K-12 grade); and an unmatched focus of excellence.