Employment Type: Full-Time
Our world needs ideas! As one of the world's most research-intensive chemical companies, we have been developing leading solutions for numerous sectors - from construction to photovoltaics and cosmetics to rubber - for over 100 years. We have a global presence with production sites on three continents and 14,600 employees from 70 nations.
WACKER POLYSILICON is the global leader in the production of polycrystalline hyperpure silicon for the semiconductor and solar solar industries. At our Charleston site, we are currently looking for a Chemist II to join our growing team.
The primary duty of this Chemist II is to support the HDK Business Team in creating value for our customers and Wacker Chemical Corporation through technical service, product maintenance, and customer applications activities.
* Design, manage, and execute projects/experiments, tech service requests and other activities in the lab to support the business team. Process and analyze results, responsible for writing technical reports for internal and external customers.
* Exhibit leadership in following and promoting WCC Silicones Division safety culture. Responsible for establishing and maintaining safe working conditions in the lab, including setting up approved work practices, equipment design and maintenance, and proper PPE and controls.
* Provide technical support for customers by working with the technical manager to provide technical answers to customer inquiries, plan and carry out customer specific projects and communicate results and assist the technical manager in customer and distributor training.
* Work with TM/BT Management to manage the product portfolio including assisting in Material Coordinator (MC) and Chemist of Record (COR) responsibilities such as MAF processing, aged inventory-rework proposals, dispositions, and others.
* Work with Marketing, RAPS, and other groups to publish technical documents such as SDS, TDS, and product bulletins
* Maintain master data in SAP, changes for specification, and technical terms of delivery as needed
* Work with SBK QC and Production personnel to resolve customer issues, and coordinate with QC on test methods and other technical issues
* Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field
* Minimum 5 years related industrial experience
* Masters degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science or related field preferred
* Knowledge in polymer chemistry preferred
* Experience or familiarity with the specialty chemical formulating industry; with coatings, adhesives, and sealants preferred
* Competency of fumed silica or particle chemistry (including colloids, interfacial phenomena, rheology, solids processing etc.) and has experience with rheometers and/or viscometers
* Hands-on bench research, can work independently and drive projects to completion
* Experience operating lab scale mixing equipment as well as lab scale analytic and test apparatus
* Practical laboratory skills and strong safety orientation, managing lab routines including equipment maintenance
* Computer skills -proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point; experience in SAP, MS Project, Sales Force preferable
* Design of experiment skills; Ability to accurately summarize and analyze data, form well thought out conclusions, and write effective reports
* Ability to multitask and work independently with minimal direction
* Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications and presentation skills; can effectively communicate with internal technical colleagues and customers
* Customer oriented
WACKER, as an innovative chemical company, makes a vital contribution toward improving the quality of life around the world by developing intelligent solutions for sustainable growth. Our culture focuses on building and retaining diverse and inclusive teams. WACKER offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, competitive benefit offerings and beyond through giving back to our communities.
Be part of our WACKER family, across all nations!
We are looking forward to your online application at www.wacker.com.
Reference Code: 3125
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. A minimum requirement for this US-based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent unrestricted basis. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position, including for any type of US permanent residency (e.g., for a Green card).
WACKER is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.