Counsel 4- WFII/Investment Products
Employment Type: Full-Time
Important Note: During the application process, ensure your contact information (email and phone number) is up to date and upload your current resume when submitting your application for consideration. To participate in some selection activities you will need to respond to an invitation. The invitation can be sent by both email and text message. In order to receive text message invitations, your profile must include a mobile phone number designated as 'Personal Cell' or 'Cellular' in the contact information of your application.
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers' financial needs and help them succeed financially. We're looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you'll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
The Legal Department supports the vision, values & goals of Wells Fargo by providing expert, creative, cost-effective, and timely advice and services to all Wells Fargo businesses and support functions. We operate in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership to find creative solutions that best serve our customers, prudently manage risks, and contribute to Wells Fargo's enterprise success.
This exciting Counsel position is a senior level role and will report to the Managing Counsel for WFII/Investment Products in the Wealth & Investment Management Division (WIM). This role will provide key legal support for an industry leading investment advisory platform and managed accounts business sponsored by Wells Fargo Advisors, an SEC/FINRA dual registrant.
Major responsibilities include:
* Provide key, senior legal and strategic support of a $670 billion investment advisory and consulting business serving retail, institutional and high net worth clients.
* Provide substantive and practical legal advice on the application of a variety of laws and regulations, including the Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, FINRA Rules, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act and related Department of Labor rulings to the WIM business.
* Identify and analyze complex legal issues arising out of strategic initiatives as well as develop conclusions and recommend solutions while working directly with business partners.
* Foster an environment that ensures strong communication and cooperation across the business, Compliance, Risk and Audit to facilitate transparency, balance and credible challenge.
* Sustain a strong risk culture that identifies and provides oversight and escalation of existing and emerging compliance and/or risk issues across business groups with WIM; and ensure that escalated risk issues receive appropriate senior management attention.
* Create a culture of excellence by proactively collaborating with others and challenging the 'status quo'
* 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney; or 6+ years of experience as a practicing attorney and 2+ years of legal-related experience in one or a combination of the following areas: risk, compliance, contracts, government, regulatory, financial services, or technology
* Active State Bar membership
* Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
* Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues
* Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
* Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
* Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
* Effective in building partnerships, functioning well with project teams, and working for the success of the team
Other Desired Qualifications
* Experience handling investment advisory matters, particularly for a dual registrant, either in a law firm setting or in-house at a large financial institution
* Experience with the application of federal securities laws, including the Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, FINRA Rules and Employee Retirement Income Security Act
* Proven ability to cultivate relationships and collaborate with multiple stakeholders and constituencies, including business leaders, legal, audit and multiple U.S. regulators
* Ethical integrity and proven ability to serve as a role model by reinforcing and demonstrating the core values and behavioral expectations contained in Wells Fargo's Vision, Values & Goals
* Experience with the application of the Volcker Rule, US Stay Regulations and Treasury rules for Globally Systemic Important Banks (GSIB), including the development Resolution and Recovery Plans.
* Understanding of investment advisory operations, particularly of trading and trade settlements.
NC-Charlotte: 301 S College St - Charlotte, NC
MO-Saint Louis: 1 N Jefferson Ave - Saint Louis, MO
MA-Boston: 125 High Street - Boston, MA
NY-New York: 150 E 42nd St - New York, NY
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.